Author Topic: Projekt Eindecker: WnW Fok. E.I (Early)  (Read 4310 times)

Offline Davos522

Re: Projekt Eindecker: WnW Fok. E.I (Early)
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2024, 10:05:41 AM »
Thanks again, Bertl, that perhaps explains the straps holding the stick in the picture of E.III 196/16 that you posted:

I thought it was such a cool detail I'll probably add them to my cockpit!

Dutch

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2024, 10:28:45 PM »
Beautiful work Dutch!

I love your eye for detailing.

Cheers,
Willem

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2024, 07:45:13 AM »
Zac, if you talk to anyone at Hood who's familiar with the Eindecker, could you ask them what the position of the stick is when the a/c is at rest? I'm thinking that it would automaticlly assume a neutral position because the tension of the wing-warping cables... or if anyone else knows, please LMK.

Dutch
I’m hoping to talk to both Eindecker pilots this weekend and will make a point of asking for you!
Zac in NZ

Offline Davos522

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2024, 12:34:53 PM »
Man, I wish I could be there! This Eindecker thing is becoming an all-consuming passion… just got the Aeronaut Press book on them today, which is the size of a small city phone-book. Looking forward to digesting all that data!

Dutch

Offline Davos522

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2024, 11:03:33 PM »
And thanks Willem!... forgot to add that when answering Zac's comment.

Since starting this project off with a goof on the control quadrant (rescued by Bertl, nochmals vielen Dank, mein Freund!) I've been working on the cockpit, and making slow progress while concentrating on other aspects of what, for me, is a massive undertaking. I'm quite happy with the way it's coming along:

Lots yet to be detailed, the control column, instruments, safety belts, finishing the rigging, and I'm fairly sure I'm going to replace the wobble-pump, since after cleaning up the sprue attachments it looked unacceptably clunky. But progress is being made. And, as always, there was a twinge of dismay upon dry fitting it into the fuselage and seeing how very very little of it will be seen once things get buttoned up...

... but God will know it's there, right, Nigel? :)

All best,

Dutch

« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 11:31:48 PM by Davos522 »

Offline NigelR

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2024, 07:45:57 PM »
Lovely work, this is progressing very nicely indeed. Interesting looking decals there........

It's now become Schrodinger's fuel tank - it's both there and not there :)

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2024, 10:43:41 PM »
Amazing detail there Dutch.  It is a shame that most will be invisible when the fuselage is closed. 

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2024, 10:30:43 PM »
Great work! The wood tones and dirt is really well done  :)
//Ben

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2024, 07:59:33 AM »
Excellent work on your Eindecker, Dutch. Enjoying your progress.
Cheers,
Gary

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2024, 09:17:03 AM »
Very fine progress on the cockpit.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Mike Norris (UK)

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2024, 09:18:06 PM »
Lovely work, this is progressing very nicely indeed. Interesting looking decals there........

It's now become Schrodinger's fuel tank - it's both there and not there :)

I wondered about the decals as well - linen effect but not Aviattic it seems  ???

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2024, 01:13:43 AM »
    Great detail and precise work thus far Dutch, a real pleasure to follow your progress and refining of an already high quality Kit. Some really good model building here!
Cheers!
Lance

Offline Davos522

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2024, 05:26:50 AM »
Thank you all, the feedback here is tremendously motivational! 
- Gary, as I said to Prze somewhere along the way, if my Eindecker comes out one-third as good as your E.II and E.IV did I’ll be satisfied. I have your build logs bookmarked.
- Tim, your “dogfight double” Eindeckers were really the inspiration for this whole project, they came out so beautifully, so you’re the spiritual godfather of this whole thing (which of course means I’ll be blaming you if it all falls apart!)
- Ben, thanks for the comment on the dirt, the one thing that strikes me in looking at (literally) hundreds of E-series airframes is how grungy they all were! One of the challenges I set myself was to model a “well-used” example.
- Przemo, thank you, as noted above, I’m hoping to approach a 3.0 on the Litewka Scale with this one…
- Nigel, the expression “Schrodinger’s fuel-tank” is priceless, and has already become part of the common heritage of my son’s and my modeling vocabularies!
- Lance, thank you… getting comments like these from folks I consider to be master-level modelers means a lot.
- And Mike, all I can say at present is that Projekt Eindecker is a collaborative effort between myself and an as-yet unnamed third party...

All best,

Dutch

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2024, 08:42:45 AM »
Dutch, this is looking superb.

And I've finally got an Eindecker of my own to join the fun!...the Airfix 1/72 kit, which fits my budget  ;D
Zac in NZ

Offline Davos522

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2024, 02:13:05 AM »
Thanks, Zac, and glad you've joined the monoplane cult! I understand the Airfix kit is a lot better than the little 1:72 Revell version I built—in Ottoman Turk markings—back in the early 1970s.

Other aspects of the project have been occupying the past several weeks, but work progresses and I've finally been able to put some time in on the cockpit:

I added the rudder and gun-trigger cables, and began some oil-staining on the Aviattic French Linen decals on the cockpit walls. In the real aeroplane, the  turnbuckles in the front bays were actually bound with what looks to be either strips of fabric or leather, presumably to avoid catching on the pilot's clothing, but this is the first use of test copies of the six-inch 3D printed turnbuckles my sons and I are developing and I just didn't have the heart to cover them up :) I decided not to add the elevator control-lock at the base of the column, reasoning that it was developed to allow the pilot to have both hands free to deal with gun jams according to Peter Grosz in WWI Aero; since the E.I was a first-gen weapons system I doubt the need for something like that had become clear yet. I may be wrong, if anybody knows for sure please LMK.

Finally, my son Curt was at the local Barnes & Nobel a couple of weeks ago and, seeing that the then-current issue of Model Airplane International featured a build of the WnW E.II, bought it for me. I finally got around to reading the article the other day; my first thought was "Wow! What a fantastic build!" Then I glanced at the author's name, and burst out laughing, it was our own Gary Edmundson... whose build log of this very model I have bookmarked, and which, along with Prze's E.I and Tim Mixon's double-build of the Navy E.IIIs, pretty much inspired this whole epic project. Grab the issue if you still can!

Unfortunately the entire article is flagged as a 1:48 build on the page headers, but I guess the editors missed that!

Dutch

« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 02:41:12 AM by Davos522 »