Author Topic: Roden SPAD VII 19 Sq. RFC 1/32nd scale:SPAD VII Lafayette:Nieuport 28 94th Aero  (Read 46774 times)

Offline Gisbod

Nice Rick,

What lovely colours to paint!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline RAGIII

Looks good with the markings on it. Nice to hear that Roden decals CAN work  :)

Thanks for commenting. Roden decals are challenging to say the least. Sometimes they crack and tear, others they are fine. Most of the time a clear sealant over the whole sheet helps.  In this case I didn't seal them on the sheet, just hot water then applied  8)
RAGIII

Nice Rick,

What lovely colours to paint!

Guy

Thanks Guy. I do like the French colors. The light green is perhaps too light but it works  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RAGIII

So Other than working on the Nieuport 24bis I also did some work on this one. I used oils to do some very subtle weathering on the upper surfaces. Burn Umber, burnt sienna, raw sienna, and Mars brown. ( a touch of black mixed in in some places).

RAGIII

PS: Maybe too suntle. I can see the effects in person but it is hard to see in My Lousy Photos  :(

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
I can see spots of weathering here and there.  Subtle.  It just flew through a rain storm.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Your weathering is subtle , perfekt !

Sealing coat will darken it up a bit so I think you hit the right balance and it does take away from the awesome camo !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

I can see spots of weathering here and there.  Subtle.  It just flew through a rain storm.

Thanks Ken. I will probably do a bit more once it is all together.  ::)
RAGIII

Your weathering is subtle , perfekt !

Sealing coat will darken it up a bit so I think you hit the right balance and it does take away from the awesome camo !

Alexis

Thanks Alexis. I will look at it once the clear coates are applied and see if it needs more work!
RAGIII

Offline Borsos

It’s a beauty, Rick. I love the Nieuport 28. She’s still on my (extensive) to-do list...
And you got the camo beautifully!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

It’s a beauty, Rick. I love the Nieuport 28. She’s still on my (extensive) to-do list...
And you got the camo beautifully!
Andreas

Thanks for dropping in and the comment Andreas!
RAGIII

Offline Monty

Looking really good Rick - I do like the subtle weathering.... I wouldn't like to see those lovely colours changed! Regards, Marc.

Offline RAGIII

Looking really good Rick - I do like the subtle weathering.... I wouldn't like to see those lovely colours changed! Regards, Marc.

Thanks Marc! I haven't done a lot to this one but did make a little progress. I attached the gear legs, Twice, as the first time I noticed a day later they were backwards  >:( I then masked and painted the fin and rudder as well as the bands on the cowling. The Tamiya tape for curves worked great as far as the bands go but lifted a crap load of paint when removed. So I will need to do a Lot of touch up. By th way the blue is very close to the roundel color in spite of how dark it looks in the photo!

RAGIII

PS: Had just a couple of small spots lifted I would have painted them aluminum and called it weathering  ::)

Offline mgunns

Looking good Rick:  Making the paint lift look like aluminum is a great idea.  Touch ups never look as good as the original, unless they are air brushed.  This is one of my favorite aircraft of WWI, just has great lines and looks like a fighter.  Your paint work is outstanding as well.  Looking to see how you do the rigging.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline RAGIII

Looking good Rick:  Making the paint lift look like aluminum is a great idea.  Touch ups never look as good as the original, unless they are air brushed.  This is one of my favorite aircraft of WWI, just has great lines and looks like a fighter.  Your paint work is outstanding as well.  Looking to see how you do the rigging.

Thanks Mark! I May use some of the Smaller lifted areas as weathering but the one on the white that is about 1/4 of the circumference of the cowling will need to be airbrushed. This of course opens the possibility of lifting some of the blue opening a never ending Cycle  ::)
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
You know , my legs look nicer ! ;)

Sucks that you had some paint lift but I know once the repairs are made one will never be able to tell  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

You know , my legs look nicer ! ;)

Sucks that you had some paint lift but I know once the repairs are made one will never be able to tell  :)

Alexis

Thanks Alexis! Today I attached the upper wing. First I glued it to the cabanes then inserted the Interplane struts. This was actually a seemles assembly. No issues fitting any of the struts at all. I also touched up the cowling, attached the engine, then glued the cowling and prop in place.

RAGIII

« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 12:09:36 AM by RAGIII »

Offline the great waldo

Very nice colors Rick, I want one!

Kent

Thanks Kent. IMHO this is probably Rodens best 1/32nd scale kit! About the colors I saw a post on FB today about a Polish, I think, company doing ALL of the French Colors from WW1 through the 30's. I am looking into availability here in the States. I will let all know what I find out.
RAGIII

Hi RAGIII
Can you post a link to the post on facebook about the colours?
cheers
Andrew