Author Topic: My first WNW build: Sopwith Triplane  (Read 40809 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: My first WNW build: Sopwith Triplane
« Reply #315 on: December 29, 2014, 08:38:05 AM »
Thanks, Kevin, Martin, Rick, Ed and Warren!  I've managed to get all the wings on her and begun rigging...

...with this stuff.

So far, I love it.
Cheers,
Bud

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

WarrenD

« Reply #316 on: December 29, 2014, 09:12:30 AM »
Cool beans Bud!  I saw you post about the rigging in the "Latest Acquisition" thread. I see it's metal rigging, so do you just cut a piece to length and glue it in as you would any other metal wire rigging material?

Warren

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #317 on: December 29, 2014, 09:32:13 AM »
Cool beans Bud!  I saw you post about the rigging in the "Latest Acquisition" thread. I see it's metal rigging, so do you just cut a piece to length and glue it in as you would any other metal wire rigging material?

Warren
I suppose you could, Warren, but it's elastic, like EZ line, so you would have to hold it until the CA sets.  I use the brass and polymide tubing method, so having it stiff enough to be double threaded through the tubing is critical for me.  It's also fine enough to thread through the finest polymide for my purposes.  It's not actually metal, although it may be somehow infused with metal, hence the added stiffness and the cool color.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #318 on: December 29, 2014, 09:51:25 AM »
Excellent work on the tripe Bud, really looking the part now. The rigging line looks very interesting, let us know what you think once you get a bit further advanced, does CA adhere to it well.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #319 on: December 29, 2014, 10:13:47 AM »
Thanks, Des!  Yes, the bond is better than it is with monofilament.  It's a little harder to cut, even with a new, sharp #11 blade, but not by much.  Because of the stretch, it's easier to draw taught once threaded.  I love it.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline oldalbie

« Reply #320 on: December 29, 2014, 11:39:31 AM »
Coming in a bit late here, nice work so far on the Tripe Bud.  Good to see that you finally dipped your talented toes into the WNW waters!  Watch your speed old friend.

WarrenD

« Reply #321 on: December 29, 2014, 11:51:09 AM »
OK, looking at a couple of Japanese/Asian dealers, I was under the impression it was metal wire. So, it's elastic thread?  That is stiff?  Interesting!

Warren

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #322 on: December 29, 2014, 12:27:04 PM »
Coming in a bit late here, nice work so far on the Tripe Bud.  Good to see that you finally dipped your talented toes into the WNW waters!  Watch your speed old friend.
Thanks, Gabe!  Yeah, doing the posted speed is usually boring, unless you're in Montana, of course.  "I can't drive fifty-five!", but I'm trying.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #323 on: December 29, 2014, 12:30:00 PM »
OK, looking at a couple of Japanese/Asian dealers, I was under the impression it was metal wire. So, it's elastic thread?  That is stiff?  Interesting!

Warren
Warren, it's actually right smack in between 2lb test and EZ line in stiffness.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #324 on: December 29, 2014, 05:17:37 PM »
Bud,

Just catching up too - lovely.

That rigging material sounds very interesting - so it's not too hard to thread through brass tube? That was always my gripe against EZ line. Although I still really like fishing line - as when it's drawn taut - it really strengthens the structure. So you find it easier to use?

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #325 on: December 29, 2014, 10:43:51 PM »
Nice to see you back at the bench once again  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #326 on: December 30, 2014, 03:29:19 AM »
Bud,

Just catching up too - lovely.

That rigging material sounds very interesting - so it's not too hard to thread through brass tube? That was always my gripe against EZ line. Although I still really like fishing line - as when it's drawn taut - it really strengthens the structure. So you find it easier to use?

Guy
Thanks, Guy!  I still prefer fishing line, as well, but I can appreciate the advantages of elastic rigging material, so  decided to give this stuff a try.  Yes, it's much easier to use than EZ line and I imagine that once I've gotten used to it's relative floppiness, I will find it easier to use than the monofilament.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #327 on: December 30, 2014, 03:44:18 AM »
Nice to see you back at the bench once again  8)

Terri
Thanks, T!  Haven't been gone that long, have I?  Been working on some time consuming stuff with this one.  Stuff that was in the WNW kit but lacking in this one.  Like this Rotherham pump.  Just a horrible, flat bit of pe in the kit, so I decided to make one a bit more 3-D.

I've got a bit more to do on it, but it's really delicate, so I'll stick it on after all the rigging's done.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #328 on: December 30, 2014, 04:19:35 AM »
Looking great Bud! That rigging material looks very interesting. Do you know if the 1/32nd scale stuff is the same? Your pump is awesome! Looking forward to the next update!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #329 on: December 30, 2014, 05:49:31 AM »
Looking great Bud! That rigging material looks very interesting. Do you know if the 1/32nd scale stuff is the same? Your pump is awesome! Looking forward to the next update!
RAGIII

I'll second our amigos comments !   Also where iii you get the "wire" and poly tubing ??

ED
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.