Author Topic: My first WNW build: Sopwith Triplane  (Read 40849 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: My first WNW build: Sopwith Triplane
« Reply #225 on: July 18, 2014, 12:42:56 AM »
Spectacular as always Bud. Thanks for passing along the tip on how you dirty the undersides. One of these days I'll have to give that step a try. The thoughts of screwing the model up at the very last has always made me shy away from it.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #226 on: July 18, 2014, 02:09:31 AM »
Spectacular as always Bud. Thanks for passing along the tip on how you dirty the undersides. One of these days I'll have to give that step a try. The thoughts of screwing the model up at the very last has always made me shy away from it.

Cheers,

Chris
Thanks, Chris!  Buddy, you're an AFV modeler.  This should be easy for you, although I do understand your reluctance.  Back before I took an 18 year break from modeling, when I was building 1/48 scale WWII stuff, I would enter my models in our local model show only to come away empty handed because I wouldn't weather my planes.  I was simply afraid that I would screw it up.  But I've seen your armor projects and you have weathering down pat.  I have a long way to go before I can say that I'm proficient at weathering, but I think I'm improving with each build.  I think the key is in studying lots of photos, looking for oil and fuel leaks, paint chipping and wear, patches in fabric, dust, smoke stains, etc.  I have no doubt that once you choose to give it a try and apply your AFV skills to your planes, you'll leave me in the dust. ;)
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #227 on: July 27, 2014, 06:50:39 AM »
Between babysitting and work (I seem to be doing a lot of that for being "retired"), I managed to squeeze in a little model time and got the tail feathers finished in 1/48 scale.  I scratched a new tailskid and used Steve's "best rigging material in the world" and polyimide tubing.  Took a while.  I'm sure the WNW version will be a bit easier due to greater space and larger parts.

Oops!  Looks like I have a little white touch up to do.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #228 on: July 27, 2014, 07:42:56 AM »
Awesome Amigo! I don't see the necessary white touch up so will take your word for the need!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #229 on: July 27, 2014, 09:08:13 AM »
Thanks, Rick!  Leading edge of the white stripes on the horizontal stabilizer.  Rudder stripe need a little work, too. :-[  SOMS (sloppy old man syndrome)
Cheers,
Bud

Offline Vickers

« Reply #230 on: July 27, 2014, 09:15:52 AM »
Excellent paint and detail work, I thought I was looking at 1/32nd until read your posts.  What a beauty!
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #231 on: July 27, 2014, 11:20:17 AM »
looking fabulous my friend. i like the dual build thing you are doing. very cool stuff.

Offline jknaus

« Reply #232 on: July 27, 2014, 01:29:07 PM »
Looks awesome. Beautiful work.
James

Offline radio

« Reply #233 on: July 27, 2014, 09:55:53 PM »
Bud an exellent build.
Martin

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #234 on: July 27, 2014, 10:30:06 PM »
Nice looking tail Bud !

What's this tubing you mentioned ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #235 on: July 27, 2014, 10:58:36 PM »
Great work on the tail, Bud!  I have been living with SOMS so long
I am beginning to panic when I paint something properly.  Keep up
the good work, my friend.  Beautifully done tail skid as well!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #236 on: July 28, 2014, 12:52:34 AM »
. . . and used Steve's "best rigging material in the world" . . .   

Terri's covered the tubing part so I'll just ask what this rigging material is Bud.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #237 on: July 28, 2014, 02:33:27 AM »
Hello Bud:

Looking good.  I find rigging the tail feathers a tedious task for some reason, yours looks great.  As to touch up: what touch up?
I think you are going to have to get into larger quarters.  Having been in your house and seeing your display area; taking into account the number of unbuilt kits you have, you will run out of room at some point in the future.  ;)  We are still looking at Redding as our next move.
Looking forward to your next update.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #238 on: July 28, 2014, 11:06:50 PM »
Nice looking tail Bud !

What's this tubing you mentioned ?

Terri

Polyamide tubing, brown colored, fairly stiff plastic tubing that comes in tiny precision sizes, used in industry for medical and instrumentation stuff and so on. You can get it from amazon supply. Will arrive in a giant cardboard tube with another large plastic tube inside... And inside that will be a straight length of the stuff.

Offline ondra

« Reply #239 on: July 28, 2014, 11:45:11 PM »
Great job, Bud! I particularly like the CDL on the lower surfaces and the weathering.

My hats off to you.

Ondra