Author Topic: My first WNW build: Sopwith Triplane  (Read 40846 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: My first WNW build: Sopwith Triplane
« Reply #210 on: July 15, 2014, 08:24:40 AM »
Thanks, Des!  Both are done in Humbrol 98, the WNW call-out.  It's a perfect match for my old mix of Mr Color Red Brown and Olive Drab.  I love this stuff.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #211 on: July 15, 2014, 08:47:40 AM »
Looking really sharp Bud  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #212 on: July 15, 2014, 09:24:50 AM »
Great stuff Bud! You could have some fun photographing these when finished next to eachother to give a false perspective effect...

best wishes, Richard
Thanks, Richard!  I'm not much of a photog, but I may have to give that a try.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #213 on: July 15, 2014, 09:25:59 AM »
Looking really sharp Bud  8)

Terri
Thanks, T!
Cheers,
Bud

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #214 on: July 15, 2014, 11:47:30 AM »
Bud,
   Not to worry about Humbrol availability; one of the three LHS's I visit in the Big City actually has a really good stock/display. The Postal and cross border service folks have definitely put the "fear of God" into the retailers here; no one will ship anything even remotely close to paints, thinners, etc. etc. Probably a good thing in the big picture but certainly annoying to the fellow trying to indulge in his hobby three hours + away from a source of even the basic paints!
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #215 on: July 15, 2014, 01:05:14 PM »
Bud, Both are looking Spectacular! I am eagerly awaiting the wing attachment and rigging!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #216 on: July 16, 2014, 12:37:59 AM »
Bud, Both are looking Spectacular! I am eagerly awaiting the wing attachment and rigging!
RAGIII

Dittos Amigo !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #217 on: July 16, 2014, 01:24:42 AM »
Bud,

They always start to look great with some paint and decals applied - great work so far, mate.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #218 on: July 16, 2014, 03:16:06 AM »
Hello Bud,

After 2 months absence from the forum, I read through your log again, and what I saw was magnificent. Very nice gun (well mixed!), extremely well painted and fantastic colors. They are beautiful twins. I am still very fond of the cowling and the warm color of the struts of the WnW tripe. Well done my friend!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline radio

« Reply #219 on: July 16, 2014, 03:34:05 AM »
Exellent work on both builds Bud.
Martin

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #220 on: July 17, 2014, 07:26:51 AM »
Thanks so much, guys!  I managed to squeeze in a little bench time in between battling an ant invasion (it's been between 98 and 106 degrees F around here, driving the ants indoors) and helping my 3 yr old grandson build his first model airplane (pics in "Time to Relax".  Now there's a bit of irony for ya.)  Basically, all I did was dirty up the underside of the little one.

Cheers,
Bud

Online RAGIII

« Reply #221 on: July 17, 2014, 07:45:28 AM »
Looks great Bud! What Method did you use for the grime? I am getting ready to do this to the Snipe so all info appreciated!

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #222 on: July 17, 2014, 07:54:14 AM »
that was fun to do I bet :)

looks great

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #223 on: July 17, 2014, 02:15:20 PM »
Looks great Bud! What Method did you use for the grime? I am getting ready to do this to the Snipe so all info appreciated!

RAGIII
Rick, first I applied a matt clear coat, then simulated the older stains with brown pastels.  I sprayed a semi-gloss clear coat, then brushed on a water color mix of black and brown for the newer oil.  Hope that helps, amigo.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #224 on: July 17, 2014, 02:16:55 PM »
that was fun to do I bet :)

looks great
Thanks, Bo!  It was fun and I get to do it all over again on the big'n.
Cheers,
Bud