Author Topic: Latest acquisition in your collection  (Read 367198 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Latest acquisition in your collection
« Reply #945 on: January 09, 2015, 02:23:03 PM »
My Latest thanks to Rob Owens: The Cutting Edge MvR Triplane Decal sheets. I will only do one of the schemes in MvR Markings but the crosses provided give me a myriad of choices for JG1 tripes!

RAGIII

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 12:27:06 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

mike in calif

« Reply #946 on: January 10, 2015, 12:07:44 AM »
55 pounds? Am I reading that right? That would be about 75.00 US- that's crazy!

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #947 on: January 10, 2015, 12:23:10 AM »
Mine is in customs. They want £55 to release it - extortion.

That's incredible. Have they given you an explanation?

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Russell

« Reply #948 on: January 10, 2015, 01:26:10 AM »
My customs charge (in the UK) for the Felixstowe & W.29 set was £46.22 of which £38.22 was the import duty (i.e. VAT at 20%) plus the Parcelforce charge for collecting the money of £8.

Regards
Russell

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #949 on: January 10, 2015, 02:03:54 AM »
Man, I feel bad for you fellows in the UK.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #950 on: January 10, 2015, 03:56:48 AM »
Hello Kai,

For us in Belgium the VAT is 21%. For the last handling of two sets from WnW they charged 12 euro, 9,4£ that is. Imposters and they delay your package by weeks!  >:( and sometimes not treating it nicely!  >:( >:(

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #951 on: January 10, 2015, 04:59:00 AM »
Yes, it's VAT at 20% and then an £8 handling charge.

They use some weird exchange rates - in the early days, they would use NZ$ exchange rates which was great, but they have worked out it's US $'s now.

VAT is a European sales tax. Retailers have to pass the 20% onto the Government, although they can claim back the VAT they paid on their purchases - hence the value added bit.

Help me out here. Retailers pass on 20% to the government, then get it back. So, on a 100 euro purchase, the Retailer pays the government 20 euro, then the government gives the 20 euro back to the Retailer. Does the government loan the 20 euro for a while and keep the interest? Where is the 'added value'? I'm sure I'm missing something here...
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #952 on: January 10, 2015, 06:29:45 AM »
Wow, you people in the UK sure get screwed over when it comes to importing stuff, all these taxes and charges adds an enormous amount to the original price of the kit.

We are extremely lucky here in Australia, no import taxes or duties for any item under $1000, so a $100 Wingnuts kit only costs us $100 delivered to our door. Our biggest issue at present is the exchange rate, the Aussie dollar has gone through the floor so buying anything in US dollars is costing a heap more, for example -  the Felixstowe duellist set selling for $349 would cost me $425, the Felixstowe selling for $269 would cost me $327 and even a single seater selling for $69 would now cost me $84. The purchase of any more Wingnut kits will be put off now until the Aussie dollar climbs again.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Russell

« Reply #953 on: January 10, 2015, 07:12:50 AM »
The import tax is galling enough but what's worse is the Parcelforce or Royal Mail fixed £8 charge for them collecting the customs charge / VAT on behalf of 'HM Customs & Excise'. It's a flat fee which applies on any parcel on which import tax & VAT is payable even if the actual tax is only £1.

For the UK modeller it pays to buy as many WnW kits as possible in one order as possible as the tax is always pro rata but it the £8 collection fee remains the same.

Regards
Russell

Offline ermeio

« Reply #954 on: January 10, 2015, 07:29:24 AM »
Wow, you people in the UK sure get screwed over when it comes to importing stuff, all these taxes and charges adds an enormous amount to the original price of the kit.

We are extremely lucky here in Australia, no import taxes or duties for any item under $1000, so a $100 Wingnuts kit only costs us $100 delivered to our door. Our biggest issue at present is the exchange rate, the Aussie dollar has gone through the floor so buying anything in US dollars is costing a heap more, for example -  the Felixstowe duellist set selling for $349 would cost me $425, the Felixstowe selling for $269 would cost me $327 and even a single seater selling for $69 would now cost me $84. The purchase of any more Wingnut kits will be put off now until the Aussie dollar climbs again.

Des.
It happens everywhere, at least in EU....
Now that the dollar is climbing I regret that I did not complete my WNW collection during last spring-summer.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #955 on: January 10, 2015, 09:51:55 AM »
In Poland VAT is 23%. And there is also a flat rate for the post office to handle the parcel but it is just below 1 EUR, not worth to mention really. So I paid for my Felixstowe about 330USD. W.12 was 122USD. As elsewhere, US dollar is now standing high, so these costed more in my currency, but this is life...
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Russell

« Reply #956 on: January 11, 2015, 04:04:15 AM »
I picked up the Felixstowe from the post office today

Nice to see it in a suitably sturdy kit box which is made from a double walled card with a corrugated middle. It's packed to the top with plastic.

Also recently arrived is a Gamecock

More from WnW

This book is well worth searching out.

I hear it's required reading at WnW mission control at the moment ;)

WarrenD

« Reply #957 on: January 11, 2015, 04:24:55 AM »
Well done sir!

Warren

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #958 on: January 11, 2015, 05:23:40 AM »
Wow!  Nice haul, Russell!  That Gamecock is particularly intriguing to me.  Alley Cat resin kits are really top notch.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #959 on: January 11, 2015, 07:15:16 AM »

On the odd occasion (we have experienced it twice) the parcels in the UK get delivered directly without the collection of VAT and the release fee.  However I always budget for this cost when buying from WNW.  I currently have £20 (about US$32) in my coin mug that is specifically saving for the Felixstowe.  I am saving the £2 coins whenever I get them in change.  All too often I get £1 coins instead - so it may be many months before I post the arrival of this kit here :(