Author Topic: Albatros Dva 1/16  (Read 71895 times)

Offline UFAG

Re: Albatros Dva 1/16
« Reply #195 on: July 22, 2015, 06:09:03 AM »
the front and aft gun mount according to model airways...not quite so...forward with the scratch build..

Offline UFAG

« Reply #196 on: July 22, 2015, 06:09:48 AM »

Offline radio

« Reply #197 on: July 22, 2015, 07:25:32 AM »
Fantastic parts for your build.
Martin

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #198 on: July 22, 2015, 07:40:30 AM »
First I have to say that you are doing an amazing job with this kit! I love what you've done with all the scratch built parts, and you've painted and weathered them beautifully. I would love to try something in 1/16 scale but I know I would go too nuts with the possibilities of detail and I would never finish! ;D

But I have some questions about this kit. It seems that at this large scale of 1/16 that Model Airways would be able to make the parts more accurate than the smaller scales, not less accurate. You are having to scratch build and redo most of the kit parts, at least most of the white metal parts. The laser cut wood seems good, for the most part. Maybe it's due to the age if the kit, I don't know when this kit was produced, but it seems that manufacturing processes have greatly improved, especially with white metal and resin. Am I completely off base, or do you feel like you are redoing a lot of the kit parts?

George

Offline UFAG

« Reply #199 on: July 22, 2015, 07:22:25 PM »
Virtually all the kit parts George...!! That is mostly the with metal casting,
They are way off and not worth being called a kit part. The wood in general is okay, with some exceptions..for me,it makes the kit a challenge...semi scratchbuilding and detailing a basic kit. This is not quite an OBB...cheers

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #200 on: July 22, 2015, 10:41:36 PM »
yes i agree, i have looked at the model airways kits. it seems most of the wood for wings etc is nice, laser cut and well researched. it must be someone else who did the engine and white metal parts.they are kind of crude for as large as they are. i wonder why noone has made resin upgrades for these kits?they have been on the market since mid 90s right?

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #201 on: July 23, 2015, 08:14:59 PM »
Yes indeed, the metal parts in this kit are absolutely atrocious...

Great work UFAG

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #202 on: July 24, 2015, 12:53:12 AM »

Great work UFAG

Bo, you have already made some of these DVa parts for your Shapways store. It seems like it would be an easy thing to upscale them to 1/16. But does the larger size make the cost a bit too high?

George

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #203 on: July 24, 2015, 01:45:07 AM »

Great work UFAG

Bo, you have already made some of these DVa parts for your Shapways store. It seems like it would be an easy thing to upscale them to 1/16. But does the larger size make the cost a bit too high?

George

Consider the parts to be about 3 to 4x as expensive compared to 1:32 -- I have actually made some scaled up parts, but merely scaling up the 1/32 parts leaves a lot of potential detail on the table, and so the models need to be revised.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #204 on: July 24, 2015, 07:13:17 AM »
  Ah a work of art in progress ! Outstanding skill and craftsmanship.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline UFAG

« Reply #205 on: July 24, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »
Thanks all gents...!!
Bo, what parts are we talking about..??
Enlighten me plse...😊

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #206 on: July 24, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
Thanks all gents...!!
Bo, what parts are we talking about..??
Enlighten me plse...😊

I've made quite a few parts for the D.V/a in 1:32 available here : https://www.shapeways.com/shops/flugzeugwerke

Some parts that might be useful scaling up to 1:16 include Engine block (upper and lower halves), cylinders, magnetos (with separate magnets, timing cover, and advance plate), oil pump; T&B radiator (with individual fins), spinner, fuel control valve (the thingy behind the dashboard) --and there are a host of other parts that I would probably do for my build when I get to it someday...: spandau receivers, starting magnetos, engine timing gear, exhaust, etc...

Offline Beto

« Reply #207 on: July 25, 2015, 04:43:01 PM »

I've made quite a few parts for the D.V/a in 1:32 available here : https://www.shapeways.com/shops/flugzeugwerke

Some parts that might be useful scaling up to 1:16 include Engine block (upper and lower halves), cylinders, magnetos (with separate magnets, timing cover, and advance plate), oil pump...

Bo, please don't forget the valve train, water pump an so on. In 1/16 we don't have the fine Taurus pieces...

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #208 on: July 26, 2015, 12:12:05 AM »

Some parts that might be useful scaling up to 1:16 include Engine block (upper and lower halves), cylinders, magnetos (with separate magnets, timing cover, and advance plate), oil pump...

Bo, please don't forget the valve train, water pump an so on. In 1/16 we don't have the fine Taurus pieces...

Yes of course, -- just mentioning parts that I have already mastered in 1:32 that could be relatively quickly ported to 1:16. Also we need air pump, intake and exhaust manifolds, carbs, spark plugs... Basically the whole engine :)  and the list goes on.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #209 on: July 26, 2015, 12:50:00 AM »
I don't know how I managed to miss so much of this amazing thread, Martin.  I'm such a huge fan of your work that I must go back a read every post.  Truly remarkable work, as always.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence