Author Topic: Felixstowe F2a late & Curtiss H-16 1:72 scale  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
Felixstowe F2a late & Curtiss H-16 1:72 scale
« on: December 05, 2018, 10:40:30 AM »
Here's the completed scene from a project which has taken up much of this year for me, depicting a late Felixstowe boat, donated to Chile by Britain after WWI, and a Curtiss H-16, at an imaginary US base in 1921.
After taking these pics, an acrylic cover was screwed on top.
For construction notes and background details, please look at the 'A Couple of Felixstowes...' thread in the Under Construction section.

Thanks for looking,
Mark

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
Re: Felixstowe F2a late & Curtiss H-16 1:72 scale
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 10:43:55 AM »
In the middle, an officer standing in the Chilean boat's upper gun position discusses matters with one of the pilots and a rating. A crew member and a driver stand waiting by a fuel truck behind.

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 10:46:18 AM »
A view from behind captures a 4WD army truck, and also some of the fantail of control wires going up to the tail assemblies.

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 10:50:33 AM »
The two aircraft are Roden kits from a few years back, and the markings are options from those kits. They correspond pretty well with what you can see in pictures of the two planes, although there was probably also a serial number on the nose of the US plane, and I should have looked into that.
The fuel truck is an RPM kit, and the 4WD vehicle is another Roden kit.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 10:02:58 PM by Bluesfan »

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 10:56:30 AM »
I like this frontal view, I feel it captures a lot of the character of these planes. One comment on the Under Construction thread referred to them being like flying pirate ships, which was pretty apt I think.
Wish it had been convenient to build more of that slipway. The planking is just formed from pieces from an old bamboo curtain and quite crude, but I like the effect.

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 11:01:45 AM »
A last shot of the whole piece.
Despite all sorts of niggles, about inaccuracies, omissions, details and technique, overall I'm exhausted and very happy with it.
I might have moaned at times... but now I can forget all that :)

Cheers
Mark

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 03:59:54 PM »
The completed work looks really good. You made a beautiful scene with two big and unusual aeroplanes and it's very realistic.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 09:55:53 PM »
Congratulations Mark on these two beauties and the complementing diorama.  Enjoyed your build log and how you got here.  Not the easiest of kits, but you got the best out of them which is a testament to your skills.

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 04:02:07 AM »
Thanks, your comments are very much appreciated.  8)
Looking around the diverse work shown off in the forum, I know my skills could do with much more improvement, but the nice thing about these hereabouts is that encouragement, hints and advice do sink in, if my more recent models like these are any evidence - so thanks to all!

As for my next 1:72 scene, 'possibly' later in 2019, maybe I'll join in O/400 fever, and tackle that old Airfix Handley Page I have lying about.

And now going off at a tangent, I see that the Wikipedia page on the O/400 declares that "When built, the Type O was the largest aircraft that had been built in the UK".  But this is contradicted by another Wikipedia page. One of the many surprises I had while reading Colin Owers' fascinating books on the Fighting America Boats, is that the Porte Baby did go into limited production, and indeed was still in service at the end of the war. They weren't really capable of adequately defending themselves, especially during their main intended task of patrolling the Heligoland Bight. They were used to patrol areas where they wouldn't encounter those pesky Hansa Brandenburgs. But also, one was interestingly employed in tests with a parasite fighter, launching from the top wing.
The Wikipedia page on the Porte Baby shows that, having first flown a month before the O/100, the three engined Baby was bigger in all dimensions and quite a bit heavier.

Just saying!

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 04:46:25 AM »
Very impressive Mark!

Lot of work there.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Online RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 09:00:14 AM »
I enjoyed watching your build of these two. Outstanding results all around!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 05:34:27 AM »
A nice pair of models of my favourite WW1 bird. Great job!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.