Author Topic: Lets talk the Lohner TI series  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Pete Wenman

• Pete Wenman Aviation Art
Lets talk the Lohner TI series
« on: December 02, 2018, 04:56:54 AM »

I'm looking at working a painting or two of the Lohner T flying boat series, and despite having tha WSDF and Vol2 of Eagle of Trieste I'm struggling to discern the detail of how the lower wings were joined to the hull. It seems there was a frame on the deck behind the pilots rather than the wing spars passing into the hull.

As anybody got any info that might help with this.

Any help appreciated

P

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
Re: Lets talk the Lohner TI series
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 03:22:21 AM »
That's a puzzle!
I'm afraid I can't help, I only have the same sources as you, but I love the subject and what you're doing :)

Mark

Offline Pete Wenman

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 05:10:37 AM »

Cheers BF

I've have been sent a few photos of the remaining Lohner on display in Italy which show much of the detail I was after.

They are shared here in case anyone else  may find them helpful

I have also been pointed in the direction of

http://wingsofserbia.com/category/seaplanes-of-bocche/ which looks like a terrific reference

P

Offline IanB

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 01:34:05 AM »
I have that book and it's well worth investing in. The English is not perfect, but understandable, and there are many very useful photos and profiles. I give it 10 out of 10.

Ian

Offline Pete Wenman

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 02:44:20 AM »

Thanks Ian

Funnily enough I ordered the book this morning, and so will hopefully find it under the Christmas Tree later this month

P

Offline Tnarg

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 09:18:25 AM »
I have a photo from Peter Grosz that shows a set of mounting "triangles" for the lower wings. They look almost the same as the museum photo, but the ones in this photo are almost a wider equilateral triangle with a base at the mounting to the fuselage as compared to a narrow sloped triangle in the museum reconstruction. It appears that tubes ran across the top of the fuselage through a hole at the "point" or top of the triangle. The outside ends of the tubes had a bracket that folded in a U shape on top and bottom of the wing at the spar location and bolts threaded through that bracket to hold the wing to the mounting system.

I need to get an image hosting platform sorted out before I post this, but maybe could email the photo to you?

By the way, I sent some of the photos to the author of Wings of Serbia but can't recall at this moment if that particular one made it to the book. It is a great book and one of the best sources of information on the Lohners.

As an added FYI, you may want to look at the shape of the side view of L127 in the Windsock Datafile. The fuselage plans in the book and that photo don't completely match. It is hard to see, but the top of the rear fuselage seems to rise up instead of extend straight out from the curve behind the engine tower. At least that is how it appears to me.

Tnarg

Offline Pete Wenman

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 04:31:31 AM »
Cheers Grant, email sent.

Can you expand on your thoughts about the rear deck and WS plans as I'm not sure what part of deck you are referring to.

Regards

P

Offline Tnarg

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 08:23:36 AM »
I was mistaken about those lower wing mounts. Taking another look at the photo I have it looks just like the lower wing mounts in the restored Lohner. Sorry about that.

The rear "deck" I was talking about is just the top of the back of the fuselage. I looks like it rises up to be about the height of the top of the fuselage under the motor and cockpit area. Maybe a bit higher. Tlo know for sure we would need to have a full set of walk around photos (or video) of the fuselage every few feet... then throw them into a 3d model extraction program and get a point cloud model... anyone close to the museum in Italy want to volunteer?

Tnarg