Author Topic: Flat Coat on Wood Grain?  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Ryan

Flat Coat on Wood Grain?
« on: November 06, 2018, 12:01:13 AM »
Is anyone flat coating the wood grain or just leaving them gloss to semi gloss?

I know in reality they were probably somewhat glossy, but in scale does this make sense?

Any input is appreciated.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Flat Coat on Wood Grain?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 12:25:31 AM »
Ryan,
    It's probably a personal preference. I like to tone mine down with, at minimum, a semi gloss finish and usually end up with a final "satin" finish. Certainly as you say the finish would have started as a glossy one with the application of a protective varnish finish on the wood however being a fan of a weathered appearance on my models I prefer to avoid the high gloss (to me "toy like') effect of an overall high gloss appearance. As many of our Members here have said, "it's your model", so the finish should suit your preferences. I admire the clean high gloss finishes of many of the beautiful models presented here, I believe the skill and care required to pull that off is considerable as a more worn appearance can cover the odd mistake effectively (just ask me!) but I find a used appeararnce more attractive personally.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ryan

Re: Flat Coat on Wood Grain?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 12:49:25 AM »
We agree Lance, the flat coat does take a little the magic out of the effect though. I mentally have a hard time glossing anything in scale!

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!