Author Topic: NiTi Drill bits  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Vicious

NiTi Drill bits
« on: October 25, 2018, 05:28:51 PM »
since I'm breaking micro drill bits as if there were no tomorrow,i was thinking about the reamers that dentists use for the treatment to the root canal that are in NiTi (Nitinol or Nickel-Titanium) which is a very resistant alloy but also very flexible and with memory and they can go back to its original shape, and I thought that tips made of that material would be excellent, in our hobby we use relatively soft materials, the bits for dentists are conical, someone knows if you can find "normal "drill bits in this material? ... they will certainly cost more, but they should also last a lot longer......
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 05:35:51 PM by Vicious »

Offline JimF

Re: NiTi Drill bits
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 08:24:25 PM »
I don't use drill bits anywhere near as much building aircraft (or armor) models, as I did when I was doing railway modeling, but it was not very often I break bits.

Some tips.., first, get a small chunk of bees wax, and run the bit into it before drilling, repeat once in a while during the procedure. Second, I always chuck the bit so just enough of it is exposed, to drill the depth I need (example, for a 1mm deep hole, only maybe 2mm of the bit is exposed, eliminates flexing of the bit). If the item needs a hole drilled all the way through, I start that way, then extend the bit as I go. Finally, I often start with a smaller bit, as a pilot hole, then drill the size needed.

Jim F

Offline Vicious

Re: NiTi Drill bits
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 08:43:42 AM »
Thanks for the tips, I'll try the bee wax, unfortunately I can not insert the deep bits into the chuck because they are the carbides not the HSS, now I'm modifying a chuck to make it more convenient and easy to use and I've ordered some cheap dentists bits in NiTi to try, however  I certainly have to refine my technique

like this one...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dental-Endo-Niti-Endodontic-Files-file-Mixed-Sizes-for-Root-Canal-Cleaning-6pcs/32808135851.html