Author Topic: Roden 1/32 Siemens Shuckert DIII  (Read 3836 times)

Offline Epeeman

Roden 1/32 Siemens Shuckert DIII
« on: October 29, 2012, 06:07:42 AM »
All,

Just completed Roden's 32nd scale SSW DIII.   A demanding build but an enjoyable project nonetheless.   Fit in some areas is very poor (particularly getting the lower wing on) but with effort  all eventually goes together nicely.   The biggest problem I encountered was getting the rib tape cut fine enough without breaking apart as soon as they touched the water.   I started the wing undersides first so the lozenge fabric decals do not look so good here as I ended up cutting rib tapes much thicker than they should have been just so I could get them on in one piece.   The good news is that by the time I got to upper sides, I developed a knack of getting them cut fine without breaking.

Some basic detailing to engine (ignition leads and trimming inside of cowling so engine turns freely); cockpit (cables and wiring)  and altering the seat (fitting Eduard PE seat belts) as well as adding a cushion made from 'milliput'; made up bulkhead fitted behind pilot's seat;  opened up the fuselage hand holds and step.  Also, my first attempt at making turnbuckles from twisted 5 amp fuse wire.

I ended up painting the 'lozenge' onto the interplane struts as try as I might, could not get them to wrap around the struts.

I'm not pretending my model is perfect,  but overall I am happy with the result.

Best regards

Dave

As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Roden 1/32 Siemens Shuckert DIII
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 06:46:04 AM »
She's stunning, Dave.  I love the wood grain.  This is my favorite SSW scheme.  Brilliant work all 'round mate!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline xmald

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 06:56:18 AM »
 I must admit I love your SSW. One of the most interesting planes of WWI in my opinion. Your wood grain effect is outstanding! Can post some photos of the cockpit area>?
Best regards
Filip

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 07:01:34 AM »
A beautiful looking model Dave, the wood finish is excellent and your lozenge decal application is flawless, very well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 08:11:23 AM »
Very nice work on a challenging project. She is very sharp. As others have said the wood effect is perfect!!

Steve

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 08:34:51 AM »
Superb! Knowing the frustration I encounter with Roden kits and in particular, their decals, I tip my hat to you for executing such a great looking model. Seeing your model almost makes me want to try my hand at one too . . .

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 02:45:45 AM »
Looks mighty to fine to me.   Painting the lozenge on the struts is very convincing and looks better than wrinkled decal.  It is a challenging build, but yours is outstanding.  As has been mentioned, love the wood grain.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 07:37:01 AM »
Many thanks for your kind comments, gentleman -

Chris - I know what you mean about Roden kits - with the exception of N.28, these are always fiddly (usually getting interior detail all in and closed up) so you have to persevere with the build.   Towards the end of the build, they always come together nicely though and look good when finally completed.   I agree the decals are the not the best feature - very thin and brittle - so careful application is always required.

My main gripe though with roden kits is cost - at nearly 50 quid (here in UK) for a 32nd scale they are becoming overpriced.   Luckily, been able to get hold several of these on sale (£30) a much better price.   I now have the Spad VII (Lafayette) and Fokker DVI left for future builds.

Regards

Dave

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 11:18:26 AM »
Lovely work Dave, you've produced a mighty fine fine model there.
I'll echo what those above have said regarding the fuse woodwork - lovely colour and depth.

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
Dave,
  Jumping in late, have to comment on the magnificent dark "tone" you've created on the fuselage wood; simply beautiful. Nicely done all round!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline KrzysiekK

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 07:54:36 PM »
Wood grain is really impresive! Is good to do some closer photos.
regards

K

Offline Adam

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 08:24:25 PM »
Wood work looks fantastic.
So I think you very braves using decals in so big surface.
In my Fokker Dr.1 I was afraid to use decals in such big model so I used masks.
Quality, in my opinion, of this model is rather good. It is my first in this big scale model,  I made a lot of Rodens models in 72 scale and they was rather average quality, but they are available and popular in Poland .

Adam.

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 09:33:37 AM »
Thanks again, gents - appreciated.

K - I would like to try to get some close ups, but to be honest, I really don't know how to do this with my basic camera - close up shots tend to come out blurry.

Adam - please don't get me wrong about Roden - despite the flaws, on the whole, good kits which need a bit of effort to get the best out of them.   I just find they are becoming a bit on the pricey side of things.

All - I'm pleased everybody likes the wood effect - this was done by chance/accident if honest (combination of artist oils burnt Sienna and burnt umber) but came out really well so will use this combination again where a darker wood tone is required.

Best regards

Dave

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 05:29:49 PM »
Lovely work indeed yes.

On the price in the UK issue I agree totally, actually found it much cheaper to buy from Jadar in Poland the last time I bought Roden but that was a while ago.. I was buying a batch of P of P etch at the time and the kits just...well you know  :P

But still causes head scratching how getting something from over the water is cheaper than here at home???

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Adam

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 05:49:36 PM »
I thing, that quality and price Rodens models in Poland  for me is good.
Jadar is abut half hour traveling from my home and closer is another shop Martola ( maybe you know this shop too), so I don't pay for delivery.  ;D

Adam.