Author Topic: Biff Control Column  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Trackpad

Biff Control Column
« on: October 28, 2012, 04:18:27 AM »
Hi,

Having lobbed my hat into the ring on the newest Group Build thread, and having opted for the WNW Biff, I took a look at the kit, instructions and Des' build log. One detail that caught my eye was the position of the Biff control column: it seems to be too close to the seat and fuel tank to allow any worthwhile rearward movement, necessary to gain altitude. Now, I'm sure that WNW would not make an error of this nature, as they have access to a Biff at TVAL. So what's the answer? The only thought that I had was that perhaps the upper portion of the column was articulated, allowing just that portion to move rearward and so activate the elevators.

No biggie, that's for sure. Just one of those little nagging quesitons that won't go away. Glad to receive any thoughts/information.  :D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Re: Biff Control Column
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 06:03:54 AM »
Its probably OK although I would remove the ring at the top as this is from a post-war Mk IV F2b

Here is a photo taken by Rowan Baylis of the F2B at the RAF Museum at Hendon:

Rowan has lots more great photos here:
http://photos.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/19336

The dashboard of the TVAL F2B is also representative of a post-war type, so not useful as a reference.

Here are a couple more links that may prove useful

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/aircraft/43773-bristol-f2b-control-stick.html

http://www.wwi-models.org/dload/0306keh/bristolf2b.zip

Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 06:33:33 AM »
Thanks, Jamo. Good point on the top ring, and these photos will be most useful. Thx again!  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 09:12:46 AM »
Gary,
    Don't know if you have it but the Windsock DF Special on the Bristol Fighter (Vol 1) has a great photo labeled "F2B Cockpit" on page 36; shows the C.C. as Jamo states and as seen in the Hendon Museum restored version.no "Ring".
   Score is now Jamo 1, WNW 0! Nice work, would have driven my severe version of AMS totally out of control, love the info sharing on this Site!
Cheers,
Lance :)

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 09:58:54 AM »
Gary,
    Don't know if you have it but the Windsock DF Special on the Bristol Fighter (Vol 1) has a great photo labeled "F2B Cockpit" on page 36; shows the C.C. as Jamo states and as seen in the Hendon Museum restored version.no "Ring".
   Score is now Jamo 1, WNW 0! Nice work, would have driven my severe version of AMS totally out of control, love the info sharing on this Site!
Cheers,
Lance :)

Windsock Data Files? Geez, man, whaddya wanna do? Inject logic into this thread??  ;)

I find that the problem I have with references like that is that they occasionally give me too many corrections to make on the kit. Then I get all tied up in detail (most of which I can't manufacture) and then just give up on the project. This is where one of my most steadfast quotes comes to my rescue: "Ignorance is bliss!"  ;D

But I'll try to do my best on the Biff. Honest!  ::)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 11:10:59 AM »
Gary,
   "Just sayin, is all"! (I'm a big Albatros Pubs fan, not very often, if at all, Mr. Rimmel and company are wrong.)
    Hopefully the F2B will be waiting for me on my return from the southern end of your Province in a week or so, I am really looking forward to starting this one.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 01:23:38 AM »
Hey, Lance,

Just funnin' ya, as our American cousins would say! Actually I do have the Fokker Triplane DF, and used it on my Roden build a few years ago. I just wish I could build as well as they publish!

Good luck with your "fact-finding trip." Hopefully the facts you find will be good ones all-round!  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 09:00:11 AM »
My biggest concern Gary, is the wicker seat.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 02:20:51 PM »

Cheers,

Chris

I'm going to try the WNW technique of thinning down the backside of the kit seat. That, plus a bit of creative painting, might just do the trick for me. I'll let you know how well (or otherwise!) I do.
Cheers!
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 10:16:59 AM »

Cheers,

Chris

I'm going to try the WNW technique of thinning down the backside of the kit seat. That, plus a bit of creative painting, might just do the trick for me. I'll let you know how well (or otherwise!) I do.

I had the same plan, Gary. Looks a little shakey and "fraught with peril" to say the least....................know what? After you.................please go ahead....... but certainly report on results!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 11:23:34 AM »
Hi, Lance,

First off, best of luck when Sandy arrives. I've been thinking of you, Chris and my relatives along Lake Ontario all day. Keep your head down and your powder dry, mate: you gotta keep prodding me on the Biff!   ;D

Work has started on the cockpit, but it will be slow: other things happening up here. I'm sanding down the rear of the seat rather than cutting/shaving it with a craft knife. I hope to have more control over the plastic removal. I'll get a few photos up when the cockpit area is done.

Keep Safe!  ;)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 12:26:58 PM »
Thanks for the good wishes Gary, driving down to Ed. tomorrow to join the line ups I'm sure are forming already. I like the idea of sanding vs. cutting on that wicker seat. I'll be checking in, looking forward to viewing your progress, and hopefully Chris will have started by then. I'm hoping my Kit and decals will be waiting for me when I return in about 9-10 days.
Cheers,
Lance