Author Topic: DFW C.V Mid Production  (Read 5279 times)

Offline GB

DFW C.V Mid Production
« on: September 01, 2018, 02:41:46 PM »
With the Roland C.II tucked away in the display cabinet, I have no intention of letting dust settle on the newly cleaned workbench. This time round it's a DFW C.V. Picked this up on a local auction site for less than it cost retail. Pretty chuffed as you can imagine.

Coincidentaly, after building the Roland as 'stripes' I'm also going for the 'stripes' version here too. This will be version E, FA (A) 282?, 1917 to early 1918. I find the overall red brown scheme more appealing than the alternative green/brown camo on offer. The colour plate doesn't show it with the winter cowling, but I may well add it due to its 'steam punk' look  8)

As with my armour models, I have an inability to make anything without the use of AM products, so the below will be utilised....

Gary.

Offline rhwinter

Re: DFW C.V Mid Production
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 03:46:44 PM »
Your Roland is superb, Gary! And so I am looking forward to seeing the DFW grow, too! Especially the „mid“ version is seldom seen, so it will be even more interesting!

Offline aliluke

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 04:13:27 PM »
Hi Gary
We seem to be on the same wavelength. I have the DFW and am definitely going for version "E" as well. Just tossing up whether to start it or the Hannover which I picked up for a bargain as well. I look forward to your progress especially how the HGW super detail set works out. Also looking forward to your colour rendition as WNW research is pretty vague about what colour it might actually have been.

Cheers,
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 11:17:32 PM »
    Nice choice of color schemes Gary, after that spectacular Roland I'm looking forward to this one.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 11:33:20 PM »
Picked this up on a local auction site for less than it cost retail.

(...) the Hannover which I picked up for a bargain as well.

How do you do that, guys? The last time I have seen a WnW model for clearly less than the official price was way back when at a model show in the early days of Wingnut'ism, offered by a military modeler with no interest in airplanes: An LVG C.VI for 100€uros! And I thought „nah, that's too much for a kit!“ - Dear, what an idiot I was!

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 11:47:28 PM »
Looking forward to your treatment on this beauty.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 04:22:27 PM »
Hi Gary
Just noticed your AM part from MFH (Model Factory Hiro - presumed). Wondered what it is and what you will use it for?

Thanks,
Alistair

Offline GB

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 07:14:23 PM »
Thanks guys. Will try not to disappoint.

Have started, but nothing much worthy of putting in front of the camera yet. However, as suspected, the HGW set has some major shortcomings. I bought it for the seatbelts as I couldn't find a belt set on its own. I've never been a fan of Eduard's PE from my armour days and this set is proving to be no different. I made up the 'replacement' bomb rack and not only is it lacking in detail, it is way oversized!!!! Totally unusable and fit for the bin. I really struggle to understand how companies can get things so wrong? I can use a few parts in the set, but a word of caution to anyone else considering the set. Save your $ and get the belt set on its own.

Will post some pics over the coming days once my PC is back from bring upgraded.

Alistair. The vinyl tubing is for rigging in place of brass tube. Much cheaper and easier to cut. Used it to good effect on the C.II.

Gary

Offline GB

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 03:45:27 PM »
Okay, progress and finally some pictures. Pretty much OOTB except for the belts (HGW), ammo reel (Gaspatch) and rigging (Modelkasten)...

Now, a bit of a gripe as I'm very disappointed with HGW.Firstly, the seatbelts are simply a rehash of those from a W29 which have different anchor mounts. Even the instructions show a W29 cockpit!

Then there's the bomb rack. The PE parts are not even worth the PE they are made from. Not only is the detail far poorer than the kit parts, it is way too oversized. It almost fits over the top of the kit part!!!!

I did buy the set primarily for the belts as I couldn't find a set with them in on their own, but needless to say I expect the rest of the set will be just as pointless. Just don't want anyone else to waste their money on the set....

Rant over.

Gary

Offline aliluke

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 04:17:33 PM »
Hi Gary
Wow your work is amazing. I'd like to have a session with you one day to see how you do it.

Thanks for the heads up on the HGW detail set. I did contemplate it but didn't go ahead - thankfully given your advice.

Cheers,
Alistair

Offline Borsos

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 08:59:40 PM »
Great progress on the interior. You really don’t disappoint.
Sad to hear about the issues with the PE parts. Besides of seat belts in my opinion these WNW kits are so good that additional PE is not really necessary.
Good luck for the ongoing build, as I like both very much, your modelling and the DFW C. V, I will hi im following curiously.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 01:00:32 AM »
GB,
     HGW do have (or at least had) a seat belt only set available which I purchased a year or so ago, Set 132549. It's too bad the PE rack turned out unusable as their belt sets are, in my experience, superbly crafted.
  All that aside your cockpit is magnificent work; the highlighting and shading together with your exquisite detailing is truly in the realm of "eye candy"! I'm looking to forward to following your further progress on this one as my Kit is inching it's way closer to the front of the production line here.
Cheers,
Lance

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 01:16:50 AM »
Looking great Gary, really like what you have done with this beauty.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 04:52:17 AM »
Spectacular interior, Gary, and thanks for the HGW tip!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 06:01:09 PM »
Superb interior, Gary. The fueltank looks terrific and the leather is outstanding. Too bad that the HGW frets don't fit. I have made the same experience with the bomb racks from HGW for the Gotha. The WNW parts are delicate enough they don't need to be replaced by a 2 dimensional fret. It is better to add some details by styrene strips and wire.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau