Author Topic: Bulk Metric Micro Drill Bits  (Read 1738 times)

Offline smperry

Bulk Metric Micro Drill Bits
« on: August 29, 2018, 11:36:15 AM »
I have done a fairly diligent search for micro drill bits 0.2 mm and up sold in bulk. I have had no success finding any. Can someone kindly point me at a supplier where I can obtain these tiny bits. Buying them one at a time in a set is impractical as ham handed as I am.
Thanks
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Re: Bulk Metric Micro Drill Bits
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 12:10:38 PM »
Hi SP, look under "Hobby Shop" section, "Drill Bits Unlimited"

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 12:16:09 PM »
sp,
    This is the very best source; he's on our Forum in the Hobby Shop Section. I've used them for years, order in boxes of 50 to save even more. Tell him you are a Forum Member as he gives discounts to us as well (thanks to Des)

https://drillbitsunlimited.com/

Cheers,
Lance

Offline smperry

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 12:22:09 PM »
Well dang. I looked there first and didn;t see what I was looking for. I suppose an e-mail to him is in order. Boxes of 50 you say, now that may last me a session or two between what I break, drop or loose.
Thanks Lance
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 08:07:44 PM »
sp,
    Bottom line is attrition is the price of doing business with these little guys, at least in my experience! They are very brittle thus "side loads" result in breakage. He sells a pin vice that will chuck the shaft on these bits and it helps a lot. I normally just chuck them in my fat fingers and work with care and use the pin vice for an access enhancer in the tight spots. I would say that, after the hobby knife, they are my most used tool.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline JimF

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 10:00:50 PM »
Get a small chunk of bee's wax, rub the bit into it before drilling, helps a lot

Jim F

Offline smperry

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 10:51:53 PM »
Lance
These bits are right on the line of being impractical, They will get the job done, but you need the mindset of a WWI General and accept the high rate of "Normal Wastage" incurred by using them. Cost of doing business. On the up side, having a supply to hand tends to reduce breakage as you aren't so up tight about breaking your only bit.
Jim
Momma has some scented beeswax. I'll snitch some of that and give it a try

Thanks Y'all
sp