Author Topic: Choroszy Gotha G-1 (1/72nd)  (Read 14191 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Choroszy Gotha G-1 (1/72nd)
« on: August 26, 2018, 02:07:38 AM »
All,
I got this neat model last year when I visited a friend in Denmark (THANKS, CLAUS!!!).  It just happens to be one of my favorite planes and will look great next to my G-III, Staaken and AEG when completed!  I've just started and am moving slowly as this takes a fair amount of head scratching and clean up for a good result.

Here it is so far.

Thanks for looking and more soon.
Dan

Re: Choroszy Gotha G-1 (1/72nd)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 01:21:12 PM »
A bit more tonight.  I sprayed basic linen onto the wings/tails etc and then made "wood" the usual way with acrylic undercoat and burnt umber oils with a top coat of clear orange acrylic.  Gloss coated and added some of the first decals.  They went on great until I got to the serials.  They stuck immediately and I destroyed them both!   :-[
I'll figure something out.

It will be fun to start getting the wings highlighted etc.  Looking good!

Cheers,
Dan

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 06:04:14 PM »
Wow, Dan. The GI looks great. It is also a very interesting subject for me, too. I will definitly watch the progress with high interest.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline NigelR

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 01:08:19 AM »
I have been tempted by this kit many times. I hope your build is going to convince me to go for it. It's looking good so far........

Offline Radarman

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 11:40:51 AM »
Good to see another unique build coming from your workbench, Dan. I’m all moved from Browns Point to Port Orchard and won’t be able to work on a model for a while. I’ll have to enjoy watching the work of others.

Thanks for keeping me entertained, Kevin
We are all victims of history!

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 03:54:34 PM »
Thanks, Everyone!  I really like this airplane and now with a bit of work, it's starting to look a bit more menacing (as it should!)... ;)
I did the rib tapes on the stab and lower wing assembly, added the basic nacelles and glued the tails on just to show I'm making some progress.

It's looking mean now.  Next steps will be adding wing decals, more rib tapes and then bracing myself for starting to add the wings etc.! 

Wish me luck...

Dan
P.S.  Kevin!  Glad to hear your move went well.  You'll be sniffing plastic glue soon enough.

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 08:36:32 AM »
Great to see a Choroszy kit being built by a master!

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 02:26:30 PM »
Thanks, Thumbs...

Here is my likely last update for a week or so...taking my wife to Hawaii.  It's the first time we've been on a trip by ourselves in 23 years!  My children can now handle themselves at home!  ;)

I tried putting the decals on the wings, but they shattered much like the serials. So here I am in the process of masking and painting them on.  Luckily, these are pretty easy markings.  Just a bit of touch up. 

I'll do the top four positions tomorrow (these are on both surfaces of both wings).

Aloha,
Dan ::)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 10:44:01 AM »
Awesome subject matter Dan !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 08:00:33 AM »
Thanks, Terri...I've always loved the G-I.

Back from the Islands and sort of missed the bench!  Here is a bit more done by adding the top wing with epoxy. 

Next will be some rib taping and then figuring out that bottom center section!  So many unlabeled struts and the directions are a tad vague!   ::)  Oh, well.  I think I can get 'er done.

Cheers,
Dan

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 08:05:22 AM »
Wow, Dan!  That's spectacular!  Lonestar Models has been promising the G-1 in 1/48 scale for a while now.  Sure hope he does it soon.  You're making me want to build one.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 01:30:27 PM »
It's been way too long!  And thanks, Bud!  I think this would be great in 1/48th!!!  Sign me up.

I did get the rib tapes done and then started the wing attachment.  I first tried to use the resin struts and that did not go well...so I ended up making a Lego jig and epoxied thin wire.  More to go, but now that this part is done, I think the rest will go pretty well.

Can't wait to get the rest of the struts on, rigging and those bottom wings.  This one is super cool

Thanks for looking,
Dan

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 12:26:00 PM »
I have sadly Missed this build up until now. I must say all is really looking Fantastic. Loving everything you have done to date!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 06:53:08 AM »
Wow, what a great build.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 07:08:40 AM »
Looking great Dan, a real beauty.