Author Topic: 1st attempt at 1/144 WW1 aircraft (a failure) Albatros D.V  (Read 2066 times)

Offline 1/144_Nut

1st attempt at 1/144 WW1 aircraft (a failure) Albatros D.V
« on: July 23, 2018, 01:56:50 AM »
Prior to my high standard Fokker E iii I built a Valom Albatros D.v
This was a quick trial run to practice doing a ww1 aircraft, as i had never built one in any scale. So this is not to be displayed with complete models but it's also OK enough to deserve a photo at least.

List of errors:
-Rigging out of scale.
-Recessed rib lines (an error on the kit that I should have corrected)
-Badly painted prop.
-Glue evident on strut attachment.
-Red lines on tail not neatly done.
-Machine gun area, not visible in photo looks like dogshit mostly due to the kit being incorrect.
This is one of the poorer Valom kits but I think when I build the next one (2 kits are provided in each box) I can do some major plastic surgery and get it looking right.

Offline Borsos

Re: 1st attempt at 1/144 WW1 aircraft (a failure) Albatros D.V
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 03:26:26 AM »
Don't be too critical with your own work, Sam. I like your Albatros.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 03:45:06 AM »
I completely agree with Andreas: do not be too critical, especially in this scale where getting anything to look right is beyond the abilities of a good number of modellers. I certainly tink that you could have provided more photos - at least the one you have provided shows a very good attempt.

Stephen.

Offline 1/144_Nut

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 04:13:55 AM »

I was pleased for a 1st attempt but my goal is to produce 1/144 models to a very high standard.
I often see people spend months on 1/48 or 1/32 so I thought why not do that with 1/144, something a bit different at least.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 04:22:09 AM »
Not a failure.  A learning experience.  And a damn fine one at that.  If I were to attempt anything in that scale, I'm sure the result would look like something I scraped off last night's dinner plate.  Beautiful Albatros!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 05:14:37 AM »
Not a failure.  A learning experience.  And a damn fine one at that.  If I were to attempt anything in that scale, I'm sure the result would look like something I scraped off last night's dinner plate.  Beautiful Albatros!
Cheers,
Bud

I have to agree with my Amigo! First WW1 build, in a TINY SACALE, rigged, painted and really looks nice! I could only wish my first WW1 Model had looked this good!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 11:10:16 AM »
   No failure here, that's pretty fine for a first project in that scale! I like it and have to say it's a winner!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 03:14:39 PM »
I agree with other comments, it's absolutely good for that scale.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline ondra

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 06:31:04 PM »
I too think you are overly critical, the Valom Albatros is a rather poor kit and the result you achieved is actually pretty good.

As I also build 1/144 WWI aircraft, should you need any support or advices, please feel free to PM me, I will be happy to help. I can give you a few tricks as to rigging and propellers.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline 1/144_Nut

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 07:00:35 PM »
The Valom kits are certainly a mixed bag.

I did some minor scratch built additions to this, but not to the level of the fokker e iii
The main thing was the engine, the kit part was so oversized it would look like a church organ and actually touch the top wing so.
The area of the machine guns and cockpit opening was a mess too.

From what I can see it is Valom's earlier releases that l have some accuracy issues.
In my opinion the Dr1, Hanriot, Pup, Albatros, Fok Dvii all look a bit lacking.
The Nieuport's 11, 17, Spad, Rumpler, Se5a, Fok Eiii, F2b and Camel all look a lot better.

I've now got a few resin kits to expand my choices.
I just snapped up a Brengun Voisin La/Las for a good price...very excited to build a pusher but the rigging looks like hell.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 01:33:33 PM »
I'm impressed.  At that scale, I would have never even tried to rig it.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.