Author Topic: DH.9a E8538 "E15", AMC built, C Sqdn. USMC, Northern Bombing Group, Sept 1918  (Read 3303 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
By far, the best kit I've had the pleasure to build.  Flawless in every way.  If it weren't for the size, I'd build another right away.

With a 43cm wingspan, this is the largest model I've ever built.  Due to the size and weight of this beast, every time I moved it, the rigging tightened and sagged.  It's now in the case and, hopefully, I won't have to move it again.
Now, bring on that Felixstowe! (just kidding)
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline rolanddvi

Well Bud...…..thanks! I have been thinking about buying this kit and now your gorgeous build just pushed me over the edge!! I will now have to buy one of these.  :) You've done an outstanding job on it.

Mike

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
 Bud,
Amazing work my old friend. She's your Magnum Opus. Congratulations and Well Done.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Very nice Bud, a beautiful model and you chose a great scheme. These larger ones offer unique challenges and obstacles, from the photos I suspect you beat them all!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Well Bud...…..thanks! I have been thinking about buying this kit and now your gorgeous build just pushed me over the edge!! I will now have to buy one of these.  :) You've done an outstanding job on it.

Mike
Thanks, Mike!  You won't regret buying and building this one, unless a 17 inch wingspan presents a problem to you.  To say it was my most enjoyable build ever is no exaggeration.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Bud,
Amazing work my old friend. She's your Magnum Opus. Congratulations and Well Done.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Thank you, Gregory!  I think you've been on this ride with me ever since I got back into modeling a decade ago, so you should know!
Cheers,
Bud

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Very nice Bud, a beautiful model and you chose a great scheme. These larger ones offer unique challenges and obstacles, from the photos I suspect you beat them all!
Cheers,
Lance
Thanks, Lance!  I was totally unprepared for the size and heft of this thing once finished.  I might have used something a bit more flexible than monofilament for the rigging if I had known.  I'm just glad all of my anchor points held.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Outstanding result, Bud!
The colours are so good chosen. The colour modulation is subtle and very good made by you.
Really,really great,
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Online rhwinter

Truly beautifully done, Bud! And, yes, it's QUITE big! I have that one in my ever growing stash, too (post-war), but ... If I will ever tackle that one, I‘ll take into consideration to use a flexible rigging material.

Offline Borsos

Oh yes, that's a real beauty, Bud. i have both, the DH. 9a and the D.H. 9 in my stash and I have no idea where to display them...
Best regards
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

All I can say is ,beautifully detailed, painted, subtle weathering and excellent rigging! I don't think it can get any better than this one Amigo! As for the size I remember while building/rigging my Salmson that I was totally unprepared for the wing span. I managed to knock my almost complete SPAD VII off of my display case resulting in its' total destruction. At least you have faired mush better than that  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

All I can say is ,beautifully detailed, painted, subtle weathering and excellent rigging! I don't think it can get any better than this one Amigo!
RAGIII

I completely agree with Rick - marvellous in every way. Large models do present their own problems: my Dornier Rs II has a 19 inch span - and therefore its own display case. There was no other viable solution!

Stephen.

Offline Gisbod

Beautiful Bud!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline NigelR

Very nice work indeed, a great looking model.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Happy Fourth Bud, beautifully built kit, will use your log when I attempt mine.