Author Topic: Another painting question...  (Read 1394 times)

Offline JimF

Another painting question...
« on: July 01, 2018, 09:01:28 PM »
Sorry if this is a bother, but again, I find things different from painting armour models, as well as railway models. My question about priming should one part of my confusion as to when and where.

I'm also a bit confused regarding the actual painting. An example: I'm reading the current Scale Aircraft Modelling magazine, Dave Hooper's article on building the Wingnut Wings Sopwith Dolphin. He states he assembled the wicker seat, Lewis gun ammo cabinet, added seat belts, and then painted this sub-assembly. So, does it mean he brush painted it, of do a bunch of masking to spray different colors? I would guess brush paint, but again, I have read very little where folks mention brush painting.

Maybe it will be clearer when I start one of my kits, but  have about a week more of houe remodeling work to get done, before I'll have my hobby room back again.

Thanks.

Jim F

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Another painting question...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 10:08:08 PM »
Jim,
    I would say you'll get as many different techniques as you will answers. It's a matter of preferences IMHO and once started on your first new Kit I believe you'll evolve into your own sequence. I prefer to paint as many pieces individually as possible and tend to break each Build into a modular approach; eg. cockpit interior module, engine and compartment, wings, and then fuselage closed and finished, smaller bits added and so on. I find I am doing far less brush work lately as I am drifting more and more into acrylics and away from my lifetime in enamels as they become far less available. I have very little success with brushing the Tamiya Acrylics I use despite an assortment of "leveling" products and thus the airbrush becomes almost critical in the process. Masking then comes into the equation however I try to keep that requirement to the larger components such as the closed fuselage, wings etc.
   I have a modelling friend who does great WWI Aircraft Subjects but is primarily an "Armour Guy" and I marvel at how he more or less completes the assembly on the latter and then paints the whole thing as one complete object with medal winning results, yet on aircraft immediately reverts to the "modular" approach pre-painting most parts before assembly. With your depth of experience in modelling you'll very quickly develop your own methods and I'll bet with great success!
   Hope this is helpful and I look forward to following your first Build!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline NigelR

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 04:00:26 AM »
Up until recently I brush painted everything, inside and outside. I've only just bought my first ever airbrush. So It's entirely up to you, you can brush paint small parts if you are comfortable using the hairy sticks or you can mask bits off and spray them. I think it depends on how good you are at masking and spraying.

Personally, as an airbrush newbie, I think it's madness to spray small parts, it's so easy to paint them. I also hate masking stuff off. But YMMV. I will still carry on painting things like cowling panels as well as all interior parts with a brush. For larger areas on WNW kits I can't get a good finish with a brush, hence the airbrush. Also spraying white is so much easier than brush painting it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 07:08:34 AM by NigelR »

Offline JimF

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 05:20:24 AM »
Lance, that's how I have built armour kits, for years, build almost the whole thing, then go on to painting. Only early painting would be for any interior areas that might be viewable.

Nigel, that's the direction I am leaning towards. For all intents and purposes, I consider myself new to airbrushing (was able to do armour more with rattle cans). So I think airbrushing will be like a 'have to, for one reason or another, like large areas on large kits. More comfortable picking out and painting small details with a brush, than having to do lots of masking.

Jim F

Offline drdave

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 08:43:34 AM »
I have to agree. In the past I woulld paint parts then assemble. Perversely, it's neater, more efficient and a good skill to acquire, to build the entire sub assembly then paint it by airbrush and add detail.