Author Topic: A case of patience!  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Suffolk Lad

A case of patience!
« on: June 30, 2018, 04:34:25 AM »
Hi Guys - a couple of you may recall that when I began my SE5A build (https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=7850.0) I mentioned that I would like to make a case for it to stand under a Robert Taylor print we have hanging in the lounge.

Well despite best intentions and some twenty months late I'm pleased to say it has finally reached fruition - thought you might like to see it and hear that I did actually get round to it eventually.

Made by bonding the four glass (3mm float) sides together with Loctite 'Multibond' adhesive then adding the top.

The wood sections were added using the same glue. These sections were cut from an old table top but commercial angle is available if not perhaps in mahogany as these are.

I couldn't get their decorative bases in so will perhaps make a dedicated one to the case later on

And here it is in place - pleased to say Sue likes it  :D

Can't do much about the reflections but they disappear when viewing by eye. We get the late evening sun through the window to the left - that's when they look at their best.

I've made it large enough to accommodate a twin seater - DH9/ Fe2b? with the intention of changing them around as built. Ha! that's a fine one - problem is haven't been able to give the time to the hobby of late - well for quite some time actually - I'll have to send Sue back to work, I could get so much done then ;) That said I do have the intention ::)

Hope this is in the right place, couldn't think where else to place it

Regards - Tug

Offline RAGIII

Re: A case of patience!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 05:30:08 AM »
Awesome display case! Thanks for sharing. Now could you build some for me  :D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 05:44:34 AM »
Great way to display your masterpieces.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 05:59:24 AM »
Excellent case
Below
Superb
Robert Taylor.
Well
Done  ;)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 06:08:27 AM »
Very beautiful, indeed, Tug! (I even remember you announcing your idea!) And I like the idea of always presenting your latest built in that case!
Richard

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 07:20:28 AM »
Fine woodworking, and a nice idea to showcase different models.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 05:15:41 PM »
Thanks guys  :) Yep some things take a bit too long to get round to at times but eventually something happens.

How many do you want Rick? They cost about half an arm a piece but more importantly how long can you wait for them  ;D

I really haven't been able to give the hobby what I'd like to for months now but there's always the possibility  ::). I did make a tentative start on that Nieuport 24 but fell by the wayside I'm afraid. (Hasn't stopped me adding to the collection though ;))  My congrats to all of you who don't (fall) and continue to produce some fine looking models. It's a bit 'sweet shop and no money' syndrome for me so don't say much but do admire what you're all doing - long may you continue

Regards - Tug

Offline drdave

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 07:11:30 PM »
That's excellent mate. I'd be up for one of them. You should start a cottage industry...... hint.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 10:11:46 PM »
Love that case.  Thank you for sharing!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 10:59:08 PM »
    Lovely woodwork Tug, I'm envious! I really like your idea of changing the contents as more models are completed, almost a rite of transition from the Kit box to your collection. Its been a while since I've "made some saw dust" however this is inspirational work and I may just have to get busy at it as well!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 10:02:52 PM »
Thanks Dave, Gaz, Lance

I don't think I'd be up for that again Dave - I did it in the eighties - not enough time to myself these days without adding to it I'm afraid.

Glad you like it Lance - hadn't thought about it quite like that ;) I think the Taube would really look quite at home in there somehow. Perhaps this winter? Nice to think I could find some time for sure  :)

Regards - Tug

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 05:47:55 AM »
Nicely done !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 11:04:34 PM »
That's beautiful Tug!  As Lance noted, an inspiration, and with the added benefit that the spouse would approve. ;)

What are the dimensions?  Did you create the base, or is that purchased as-is?  Are the panes glass or polymer, and did you have them cut to size or are they standard dimensions?  Sorry for all of the questions, but we mere mortals need to know these things. ;)

Best regards,

Bob

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 05:45:50 PM »
Thanks Ed  :)

Bob,

Thanks for you interest.  The base was made, the edge parts cut from an old table top and the top from the side of an old wardrobe. I don't have anything special for cutting the angles just a small and quite old but functional bench saw.

The case itself is 3mm float glass cut to order. The place I use now 'machine' cuts glass so it's very accurate but before I would just stress that actual dimensions aren't too important but that the two long lengths need to be identical. Squareness is 'built in' on assembly.

Here's a couple of pics that might help

The glass is bonded using Loctite Multibond. A simple fixture to hold the two long sides the correct distance apart is made from pieces of white faced particle board. The only important thing to watch is squareness at the two ends.

The end pieces are about 1 mm shorter than overall width to ensure no overhang and to provide an area for a fillet of glue to form. The catalyst is sprayed on the flat and the glue applied to the edges.  The work time is a few minutes and the bond immensely strong after a few hours. The top dimensions are also 1mm short on both sides to give the same effect.

The base dimensions are made to suit the glass inner dimensions as finished. This ensures that it fits without tightness or too much slack. The mitre corners were cut using one of those hand powered mitre saws. The timber is glued on using the same adhesive for the glass. The glass is quickly masked and the catalyst sprayed along the edge just wider that the timber section. The adhesive is applied to the wood. Parts are held by hand and masking tape  - grab time is about 2-3mins

Finish is just a three layers of french polish rubbed back with wire wool. It pays to mask the glass for this as cleaning the polish from the glass is a real pain if you don't

Took about five days start to finish - just a hell of a lot longer to get round to it ::)

I've used this method to do cases from hand held size to one that's near 5 feet long to hold a model ship. It's not a difficult process and it helps to have the means to cut wood - that said, there are sections commercially available that could be used

Hope that answers your questions Bob

Regards - Tug

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 01:33:41 AM »
Beautiful work on the case, Tug!  Thank you for posting in progress pics.  Very inspirational.  I'll have to do something similar if I ever get around to building my Felix.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence