Author Topic: Albatros spinners  (Read 1145 times)

Offline wmoran

Albatros spinners
« on: June 19, 2018, 05:37:50 PM »
I understand that there were different spinners for the different propellers used on Albatros fighters.  Has anyone made any determination as to the differences between spinners for the different propellers?  I assume it is primarily the openings in the spinner.  I am trying to determine what is needed and if it is possible to modify the WNW kit spinners (after adjusting for the "too pointy" aspect) for the different props.

Thanks,
Bill

Offline RAGIII

Re: Albatros spinners
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 11:11:50 PM »
Perhaps Bo will chime in as I think he has done more research than most. As I understand things you are correct in that the openings for the prop are the most significant difference( After the Pointy shape as mentioned). WNW gives a generic opening that allows all 4 types of props offered to fit. I remember that Eduard offered 3 different spinners in their original Mold 1/48th kit of the DV and the difference was difficult to spot. One final note is that apparently there were some spinners Very Close to the WNW shape. In the Blue Max Airmen series the volume covering Kurt Wolf of Jasta 11 has 3 photos of his DV after a forced landing damaging the wings. The Spinner looks almost like that in the WNW kit  8)

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GazzaS

Re: Albatros spinners
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 06:40:38 AM »
I found that to get a better look, I had to do two things with my spinner and should have done a third but am a bit too chicken this late in the build:

1.  Reshape the spinner.

2.  Shave the raised detail off from the back face of the back-plate of the spinner to allow the reshaped spinner to sink in a little.

3.  (What I should have done before I closed up the fuselage and added the cowl plates) Shave the inner faces of the cowl so that they look more like thin sheets of aluminum and less like thick ol' plastic.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.