Author Topic: First kit suggestions?  (Read 4016 times)

Offline JimF

First kit suggestions?
« on: June 10, 2018, 03:22:41 AM »
Trying to decide which kit should be my 1st, in 1/32 and or 1/48.

I have lots of modelling experience, just not WWI aircraft. Enjoy learning new things, so not worried about tackling rigging, BUT, I'd rather not do a overly complicated one, the 1st time.

I believe I've read that one of the German craft has been suggested for a 1st. My problem is, it would not hold my interest long enough, as I am focused on UK aircraft.

Suggestions, warnings, etc..? :)

Jim F

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: First kit suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 05:04:28 AM »

;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 08:07:38 AM »
I always seem to give the following recommendation:

The Wing Nut Wings Snipe is virtually fool proof in 1/32nd. Rigging is straight forward, especially for an English Biplane  8)  Two versions, early, and late( can be built in Post War Aluminum dope).

For 1/48th Barring building an Eduard Fokker DR1 or DVII I would think the Eduard SE5a Might be up there on the list of good first builds.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 10:05:07 AM »
As a suggested starter in WW1 builds, I'd recommend the 1/32 scale Special Hobby Bristol M.1c, as Bob's Buckles has done.

Good quality, not expensive and minimal rigging.

Here's mine, OOB and brush painted.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 07:52:51 PM »
The WNW Roland C.II is an excellent kit with no issues about mounting the top wing. It's big, robust, unusual and has very little rigging. Nice interior too

There's scope for simple modifications if you want to make them

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline NigelR

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 08:53:37 PM »
For a biplane, try a Nieuport 17. The vee struts make assembly a little easier and it doesn't have complex rigging, but it is a biplane. Starting with a monoplane might be regarded as "cheating".... ;)

The Academy/Hobbycraft kit 1/32 is pretty good and is not that expensive. It will soon be surpassed by the upcoming Copper State Models kit but a cheaper model might be a good starting point. You can buy various addons to dress it up if you want (like resin engine, better machine guns etc.)

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 01:26:11 PM »
I agree with you, Jim.  If it's not going to hold your interest, don't buy it.  I will recommend getting a getting a biplane jig if you don't have one already.  For me it meant the difference between a completed kit, and a lump of shattered plastic on the floor.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline JimF

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 08:19:42 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks.

I like the look of that M.1c, though not the Checkers paints scheme. I did find it is available in mil colors, so that may be my start point. I do like the Snipe, perhaps that will be my 2nd.

Gaz, a jig? Is there such a thing available, or does one make it themselves? Anything that would help me along.

Thanks.

Jim F

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 12:55:04 AM »
Jim,
    The one I use is from Vertigo Miniatures:

You can get it from Umm-USA:  http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=114&products_id=7045&osCsid=ff259614ca70f594cead9e8d0ac32c87

There are other jigs out there, but I'm not sure on availability.

Good Luck,

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 01:57:55 AM »
Jim,
     This question concerning a choice for first Kit has been asked here numerous times, and my recommendation is always the same, the Wingnut Wings Sopwith Pup. (if you can get it......) It's a very nice build, the rigging is relatively straight forward, and there's numerous great schemes for both versions. With your stated preference for British subjects, what's not to like about a Pup!!
   As for jigs I use both the AeroClub and the Vertigo version as recommended by Gaz, and I am a true fan of the concept of using jigs for assembly.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline JimF

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 03:41:39 AM »
Gaz, thanks, I'll check out that jig, as well as the one mentioned by Lance.

Lance, I think I'll give the Snipe a go, based on RAGIII's suggestion, as I have not been able to locate a Pup for sale, anywhere, except ebay, at about twice the original price. Don't want it that bad :)

Jim F

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 04:03:16 AM »
Hi Jim, if looking for a Pup, just wait a few months until it is released with the figure.  You will probably pay less and get a figure to boot.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 04:35:04 AM »

Lance, I think I'll give the Snipe a go, based on RAGIII's suggestion, as I have not been able to locate a Pup for sale, anywhere, except ebay, at about twice the original price. Don't want it that bad :)

Jim F

I don't think you will be disappointed with the Snipe. No fit issues that I can remember. The cabanes will support the wing allowing you to fit the interplane struts after attaching, a much easier wing mounting requiring no jig, and like I said earlier, no double wires. One thing about the Pup that I have seen in builds is that the interior floor requires sanding and adjustment to fit so the wing will mount properly. As I have not built the Pup I can not verify through personal experience. I have built about a dozen WNW kits and still feel the Snipe to be the Easiest build of all. JMHO,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 07:10:24 AM »

Jim F

I don't blame you regarding the Pup and pricing Jim! I agree with Rick's assessment of the Snipe, it's a beautiful Kit and assembles like a dream. Unlike me don't forget to get the Aldis Sight mounted below the wing BEFORE you attach the wing to the struts! :-[
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 11:55:30 AM »
In the 1:48 realm, the two easiest kits I’ve put together are eduard’s Nieuport 11 and their Hanriot HD.1. I’ve had good luck with their Sopwith triplane, but it’s harder to come across now and it is quirky. Good luck with the Snipe! I have a couple waiting in the wings.