Author Topic: I'm thinking about buying Schlachtfleiger...  (Read 1582 times)

Offline GazzaS

I'm thinking about buying Schlachtfleiger...
« on: June 08, 2018, 06:46:12 AM »
Hi everyone,
    It's a WWI subject I don't know much about.  Heard tons about Allied aircraft on ground attack, but not much about the Germans doing it.   I've seen posts by Dan San Abbot at some forums, but don't know much else.   It's a bit pricey...

Anyone got it?  Is it a good read?

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline NigelR

Re: I'm thinking about buying Schlachtfleiger...
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 09:35:55 PM »
I have it. Some of it is a good read, but about half of it is just lists of units and personnel, which is of very limited interest to me. The first part of the book however is excellent, it has some first hand accounts of ground attack operations (which are very interesting) and lots of good info on the planes, their arms and equipment and how they operated. Lots of photos which I have not seen elsewhere as well. Some details of markings and a lot of colour profiles.

If you are really interested in German ground attack aircraft and operations, I would say it's worth it. If you have a passing interest, it's a lot of money.... 

Offline seiran01

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 11:41:22 PM »
I bought it last month, tons of information on many aspects and a ton of photos I've not seen in other sources. It is definitely on the pricey side, but if it's a subject that interests you, I think you'll be pretty pleased with it even if you ignore the last section listing personnel as mentioned above
Mike Swinburne

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 09:41:38 AM »
Guys,
   Thanks for the replies.  I don't mind the lists of the former aircrews.  I like pics and profiles.  First hand accounts are the best. 

Consider me talked into it.

Gaz

Offline Borsos

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 05:51:39 PM »
Buying it would be a good decision in my opinion. It is one of the best researched books I've ever read about a WWI aviation subject. And there are plenty of color profiles, not Ronny Bar level, but pretty anyway.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 09:17:48 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, Borsos!  I ordered it.

Gaz