Author Topic: Hi, from N. Carolina  (Read 3366 times)

Offline JimF

Hi, from N. Carolina
« on: June 04, 2018, 08:23:43 PM »
Hello all. New to aircraft modelling, (I say new, though I did build several, back in the 60's). Been into armor, then railway modelling, since the 70's, but have found a renewed interest in aircraft modelling. Primary interest is UK WWI and WWII aircraft. Am going to explore the different popular scales, though 1/32 seems to have the strongest appeal.

Jim F

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Hi, from N. Carolina
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 10:32:05 PM »
Welcome to the best aircraft model forum on the net Jim! You'll find all the resources and knowledge  you'll need to transition to aircraft here, and 1:32 Scale is certainly not lacking in variety and quality of the subjects that appeal to you. Enjoy!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 10:36:25 PM »
Welcome to the Forum from Beautiful Fleetwood North Carolina  8) I know you will find all you need to know here. WNW has helped to make 1/32nd popular but there are still many kits available in trusty 1/48th and Good Old 1/72nd. It is up to the Modeler as to preference. Looking forward to your participation.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 02:22:42 AM »
Welcome aboard, Jim!  I look forward to seeing your work.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 03:47:28 PM »
Hello Jim, welcome on this great forum. Have fun here!
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 04:54:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Jim.
Good luck with your first project and please make sure you share your progress with us.

Cheers,
Bob  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 06:11:53 PM »
Welcome, Jim!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 08:13:58 PM »
Welcome aboard Jim. What part of NC? I went to school initially at State, then transferred to Chapel Hill when I quit engineering school.

I prefer constant scale wherever possible to jumping from scale to scale, mainly because I like to see how large one plane is compared to another. If this is not important to you, then enjoy jumping around!

Basically i put everything i thought i might ever want to build in a big spreadsheet that shows how big it would be at any given scale. From this, taking into consideration availability of kits etc, I determined the best scales for me.

1/32 is, in my opinion, the best scale for WWI aircraft. It's only an opinion, of course, but I *did* put a lot of thought into deciding what scales to commit to. Main attraction of 1/32, besides the existence of Wingnut Wings, is that figures are large enough where you can recognize a likeness with the naked eye. 1/48 is too small for this IMO. also there's a long tradition of 54mm figures, so there are lots of aces available in 1/32. I also like 1/32 for select WWII subjects... ones that involve figures of aces.

For everything else I choose 1/72. Almost every aircraft that ever existed is available in both 1/48 and 1/72... but I chose 1/72 because I'm also interested in water-going R/C stuff. Particularly submarines. Yeah you can do an RC sub in 1/48, but anything bigger than a destroyer would be too big for even a boat trailer!

I may add a larger scale, as I get into R/C things that fly. It's possible these days to build tiny flying models from Depron... I've seen a 1/72 MiG-15 on Youtube that actually flies (!)... but a bigger plane will be less likely to be knocked around by wind.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 04:21:12 AM »
Welcome to the forum, it's a great place.
Giuseppe

Offline JimF

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 09:48:59 AM »
Thanks for all the welcome, folks.

Jeff K, I'm in Salisbury, about midway between Charlotte and Greensboro. I'm what's called a "da**ed yankee", though. Those are the ones who came to visit, and stayed :) Originally from Boston MA.

For all my other modelling, in the past, I tended to stay in one scale. But my primary interest, at least right now (always subject to change) is doing the 3 WWII aircraft I like most, in the different scales.

As of this moment, they are:

AIRCRAFT                          1/72                      1/48                          1/32             

Spitfire IXc                        Eduard 70122        Eduard 8282             Tamiya 60319

Typhoon Mk.1b                 Airfix A50079          Hasegawa 09311*

Mosquito FB V1                 Tamiya 60747        Tamiya 61062            Tamiya 60326

To stay with the WWI focus of this forum, however, I want to do the same with the Felixstowe F.2. It will be just 2 scales, the Roden 1/72 models and the WnW 1/32 model.

Eventually, I'll go for almost any and all UK aircraft I can get, from Wingnuts Wings.

Ambitious plans, I know, so we'll see what I accomplish :)

Oh, and speaking of R/C, that's my latest rail model thing, putting it in 009 (1/76 scale narrow gauge) locos!

Thanks again.

Jim F

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 10:48:11 AM »
Welcome Jim

I hope you get lots of enjoyment from the wonderful people on this forum  - the best WWI modelling site on the internet!

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 12:43:05 PM »
Jim,

I was a damn yankee for a while, now I'm just a yankee.

If you really wanted to collect the whole set of Felixstowes there's a 1/48 resin kit:

http://www.lonestarmodels.com/store/bsk/lsm-480606-felixstowe-f2a-flying-boat

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 09:25:27 PM »
Welcome Jim. Enjoy the forum in all three scales!!

Steve

Offline JimF

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 11:06:53 PM »
Thanks again, all.

Upon reflection, I've decided I'd rather start in 1/32, both for the detail, possibility of easier painting, and it's a size where I think learning rigging would be easier (never done it before). So I'll spend some time (impatiently LOL) reading reviews of 1/32 kits, with a lean towards aircraft of the RNAS.

Jim F

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 11:32:45 PM »
     Does my take on your progression of logic see a Felixstowe Build Log in the near future Jim?? ::) Now that's a transition from Armour and Rail Stock! 8) Looking forward to whatever you start with ........
Cheers,
Lance