Author Topic: roden alb d.ii > oeff 253 conversion?  (Read 1958 times)

Offline quakerparrot67

roden alb d.ii > oeff 253 conversion?
« on: May 30, 2018, 10:48:53 AM »
a new member here with his first question- thanks in advance for your responses.
  aside from the engine transplant and nosejob, what would be involved in converting a roden albatros d.ii into a passibly scale oeffag 253 ?   

cheers,
rob

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Re: roden alb d.ii > oeff 253 conversion?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 11:29:39 AM »
Hi Rob, others will know more, but the wings are different, maybe an OEF 53 from the D.II.  I would think that the D.III would be a better starting point for a 253 along with what you previously mentioned.  Regards and good luck with your conversion.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 11:31:57 AM »
That pretty much covers it -some slight differences in the cockpit and CSM already has the 2  A-H Daimler engines, so yes a conversion set for some AM  (or CSM) to just produce one...

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline quakerparrot67

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 08:07:11 AM »
thanks, juan and ace.  i didn't notice till now that i'd mis-typed in both the post and heading-  i meant d.iii (really!, lol) .  are the wings on the german d.iii's dimensionally and shape-wise close enough to the 253 to pass?  i know i'd have to re-shape the cockpit opening, and i seem to recall reading something about different  shaped tailplane?  also interested if anyone has photos of oef d.iii cockpit details.  not even sure iof i'm brave enough to try this, but liking the idea...  no luck finding blueprints/scale drawings of the oefs so far.

cheers,
rob

Offline petrov27

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 10:00:35 AM »
Yeah I believe the pit opening was a more squared-off shape

The Windsock Datafile No. 19 would probably be the best reference for the conversion (doubt it comes with 1/32 drawings but you could scale up the 1/48)
-Patrick

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 11:37:38 AM »
 Rob,
I really hope you give this Albatros to OEF 253 a go. As Juan stated the D.III would be a much better choice for the conversion. The best of luck with this project.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline petrov27

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 01:17:30 PM »
This does seem like a pretty good subject for a conversion kit no? Some interesting paint schemes for certain. I would definitely be on board for that...
-Patrick

Offline quakerparrot67

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 07:59:55 AM »
thanks, everyone.  it would be a return to aircraft modeling after a 33 year hiatus, and i'm kinda wary of picking up another hobby when i have so much trouble finding time for my others (photography and 1/6 scale wwii figure modeling- yes, 'battle barbies', but  redone as close to scale as possible and detailed, weathered, etc.).   i did buy the 1/35 copper state austro -daimler motor as a toe in the water, so if that turns out well i just might do it.  rediscovering a childhood love of wwi aircraft, and loving the modelwork i'm seeing on this site.  a good excuse to start reading some history, too- i've been wwii focused for a few decades now, so it's great to find a different direction  to explore again.   hopefully i'll be posting some progress on the motor  (or more likely  lots of questions and "HELP!!!" requests)  before too long.   i've always liked the look of the albatros d.iii and d.v,  and the oeffag variants are cool both for their rarity and their performance boost over the german-built  planes,  so researching this is gonna fun if i can find much of anything. 

great forum, guys!

rob

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 08:16:55 PM »
1/6 is a nice scale for radio control, any of your 'battle Barbies' interested in flight school?

I'll be watching closely if and when you go ahead with this as I want to convert at least one myself. lots in the queue before it though, so hopefully someone will issue a conversion kit for the Roden.

I've read a build log wherein the builder used the Battle Axe kit in combination with the Roden, and from that I get the impression that the Battle Axe kit would be more trouble than it's worth, and the Copper State engine plus scratchbuilt parts is a less aggravating approach.

Offline quakerparrot67

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 09:50:06 AM »
 1/6 alby would be a beautiful thing, but size would be a problem- not to mention that my parrot would probably have a stroke , lol.  but yes, i have thought  of 1/6 scale static, fully detailed models.  we can dream, right?

cheers,
rob

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 04:06:49 PM »
Surprised no one has pointed you towards this guy.  Google him and you'll find all you need to know and more I bet.  koloman mayrhofer

His reproductions are second to none.
Never too old to learn sumfink noo