Author Topic: A new home for Des Delatorre's models collection  (Read 6125 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
A new home for Des Delatorre's models collection
« on: May 22, 2018, 06:19:06 PM »
Following the tragic and unexpected death of the WW1aircraftmodels.com Forum owner Des Delatorre in February, there have been moves behind the scenes to find a new home for his significant collection of museum-quality models.

We wanted, if possible, to keep Des’ unique collection of kit and scratch built models together, ideally in an appropriate place where they could be appreciated by others and inspire future modellers.

We are delighted and immensely proud to announce that Des Delatorre’s models are going to one of the finest WW1 aviation collections in the world – the 1914-18 Aviation Heritage Trust, for eventual display in the Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre in Marlborough, New Zealand.

The Aviation Heritage Centre features a world-class collection of priceless aircraft and aviation memorabilia which tell the story of aviation in both World Wars.

Sir Peter Jackson has played a central role in developing the Aviation Heritage Centre as a Trustee and called in the unique creative talents of WingNut Films and Weta Workshop for the displays.

We are enormously grateful to Wingnut Wings which has played a pivotal role in placing Des’ models with the 1914-18 Aviation Heritage Trust.

Wingnut Wings’ General Manager Richard Alexander kindly arranged the move and Wingnuts’ Sales & Logistics Manager Dave Johnson flew to Australia to personally organise the packing and shipping of all Des’ models collection to their permanent new home in New Zealand.

On behalf of Des’ wife Adrienne and the family, and on behalf of our 3099 members of the Forum family, we are very grateful to the 1914-18 Aviation Heritage Trust and Richard and Dave at Wingnut Wings for their kindness and amazing support in ensuring Des’ models will be housed in a world-class facility to inspire future generations of modellers.

For those not yet familiar with the Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre, their website is at: http://www.omaka.org.nz/

Dave Wilson
Forum Administrator

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: A new home for Des Delatorre's models collection
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 08:32:56 PM »
That is utterly brilliant, couldn't be better!

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 08:58:38 PM »
Perfect soloution. That is exactly the right place to present Des' outstanding work.
Thank you, Dave.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 09:30:56 PM »
I thought my admiration for Sir Peter and the whole team at Wingnut Wings couldn't be bested - I was wrong. Simply superb.

I hope I get to go see all the great work that is going on in New Zealand. It would be a crime not too!

We all miss, Des, but to know that his legacy lives on for all to see and to be inspired by, well, it doesn't get any better than that.

It's a perfect day.

vB  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Borsos

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 09:45:56 PM »
I think Des would be happy with this solution.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Russell

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 10:07:54 PM »
This is great news.

I'm sure Des would be delighted.

My thanks to all concerned in making it happen.

Regards
Russell

Offline NigelR

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 10:09:42 PM »
Great news. Des' models truly are worthy of being in a museum. A great tribute to him.

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 10:19:47 PM »
Outstanding, now the rest of the world can enjoy Des' masterpieces.  We all miss you Des.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 10:31:32 PM »
I can only join the thanking - to Aviation Heritage Trust staff. to Wingnut Wings staff, to all who were involved in this great move.
I used to think many times, what might happen to Des's models. This news I have just read is so great, that I cannot contain my joy. Thank you - to all involved!
Des is surely watching this from above with joy and pride.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 10:34:15 PM »
Wonderful, simply wonderful! A huge „Thanks“ to all involved!

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 10:48:58 PM »
Wow!!

That's great news and an even greater outcome - well done to all involved :) :) :).
Just think of all those people who will admire and be inspired by Des' work.

I hope that the collection is accompanied by some info on Des  ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 11:17:38 PM »
This such a Zen outcome. Just perfect.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 11:28:45 PM »
   A fitting tribute to such a talented man; so absolutely a wonderful outcome and a relief to know that his outstanding collection of world class models will continue to be available to the public and an inspiration as well. I hope I don't break trust in thanking you, Dave, for your tireless and selfless efforts to bring this all together in Des's memory and to assist Adrienne in her loss.
Lance

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 11:31:36 PM »
A very fitting tribute to Des’s memory ensuring his collection will live on and be enjoyed by many others.

Bravo to the team at Wingnut Wings. 8)

Offline janh

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 11:50:04 PM »
wit's so nice that a/this "community" doesn't solely exist in cyberspace but also in the real world. it's also so nice that our secretive feeders @WNW from time to time acknowledge our existence.