Author Topic: Gloss Varnish - Suggestions?  (Read 1548 times)

Offline aliluke

Gloss Varnish - Suggestions?
« on: May 17, 2018, 09:13:46 AM »
Hi
I'm having problems finding the best combo - acrylic thinner plus acrylic gloss varnish. My main problem is the varnish pulling off with Tamiya masking tape. I have tried Tamiya X22 and AK Interactive. I leave each coat to fully dry overnight and keep the coats quite thin. And still the varnish pulls off  >:(

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
Re: Gloss Varnish - Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 02:22:52 PM »
Never had any trouble with Tamiya paints before, but try a differant thinner next ime?
I use Tamiya laquer thinner (with the yellow cap), this makes the gloss coat a little smoother and it helps with a better grip on the paint layer underneath.
Gunze (Mr.hobby) has a gloss coat that also works very well with that thinner and I have great results with that also.

Ventilate well when using lacquer thinner!!!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 02:52:35 PM »
Me neither -- no problems with Tamiya. But Alclad II does a great gloss varnish on enamel basis and Mr. Hobby has got one in a rattle can which isn't bad neither. I can recommend both.
Could it be the base coat under the Tamiya clear that causes the problem? Is it oils?
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 04:00:09 PM »
Thanks
Yes Borsos it is oils for the wood finishing on the LVG fuselage. And that is where the varnish is pulling off. As simple as that but how to prevent?

I have Tamiya laquer thinner so will try that too.

Will look at Alclad as well.

cheers
Alistair

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 05:10:51 PM »
If it oils that is giving you trouble, than the masking needs to change.
 I have a roll of very low tack masking tape that works (most of the times...). Don't know how I got it.
Post-it notes are a good choice sometimes, low tack and a good straight edge to work with if you need a straight edge.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 09:53:53 PM »
I also had mediocre experiences with acrylic varnishes on oil painted surfaces (like wood finishes). I think it's because the oils weren't entirely dry. These oils need ages to get really dry.
I see three solutions:
1) switch from oils to acrylis in tubes that behave like oils when doing woodgrain. Takes much less time to dry (some hours) and reacts fine to acrylic varnish.
2) let the oils dry for about 10 days and use enamel based varnishes.
3) if you left the oils 10-14 days for drying, then even acrylic varnish should stick better, especially when you thin them with Isopropanol.
I hope that helps

Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 08:05:50 AM »
Thanks all
Will revise my methods for the next build.

Cheers
Alistair