Author Topic: need help from someone with a Wingnut Camel  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Halus

need help from someone with a Wingnut Camel
« on: April 27, 2018, 10:30:40 AM »
 Hello, can I ask one good fellow to relay some physical measurements, in millimeters, of the lengths of both cabane and interplane wing struts. (minus the insertion points).

Building the Eduard kit, and after shortening the cabane ones, I still find things are ill fitting.  Comparing to Osprey publication drawings, I seem to have arrived at the proper distance between the wings, but the outer struts still come up short, so am thinking I need to add some length to those.
Yes, I've got the the pair of interplane struts switched around, front one is placed at rear and the back one moved to the forward position.

Using calculations from a sprue shot of the Wingnut Camel struts.  The outer ones look to calculate to a close match for those from Eduard, but can't obtain a true measure for the cabane ones since they are at an angle in the photograph.
.... but after another calculation using the wheels as basis of comparison, I'm finding the lead strut on the outer wing needs to be 1mm longer on the Eduard kit.

regards,

Jack 

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: need help from someone with a Wingnut Camel
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 12:10:01 PM »
Jack,
    I wouldn't take these numbers to the bank, however to the best of my efforts the WNW Clerget Camel is:

Front Cabanes   27.8mm
Rear    "      "     27.4 mm
Front Interplane    38.5 mm
Rear    "        "       40.0 mm
    Hope this is of some help.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Halus

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 01:53:42 PM »
Hello Lance, you are a scholar and a gentleman - thanks a bunch for doing this.

So did my computing (and checked it twice).   The results are for the Eduard kit, interplane struts should remain as is.  Now for the head scratching, cabane struts should also, more or less, remain as the lengths supplied by Eduard.  Thing is, I already cut them down 1mm, but they still hold the upper wing too high, causing the interplane struts to appear to fall short. 

I think I see a slight correction possible in where the cabane struts insert into the upper wing, and could be placed in a wider stance by roughly 1mm in total. 

regards,
Jack 

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 12:00:02 AM »
The only other variable would be the distance between the cabanes where they attach to the upper wing. On my WNW Camel, they are 48 mm apart.

Rich

Offline Halus

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 12:27:22 AM »
Cheers Rich, thanks for that.

Very little room for adjustment in that area.  Scaled down to 1/48, that gives a measurement of 32mm, which is exactly what the ruler indicates when measuring dead center of the insertion holes.  I'm still going to try a new pair of placement holes.  In photos it looks like the cabanes should sit just inside the mid-line between the wing ribs, which they currently do not.

regards,
Jack

Offline krow113

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 12:35:10 AM »
 Might be a little late here , but when I was rigging my Biff I made the two pointed angles out of tig rod for this small Steadtler compass:

This modifeid tool allowed me to make some accurate measuremants and appears that it may help you to determine the dimension needed.
You could also just cut thin brass rod , checking fit as you remove small amounts to determine the length you need.

Edit:
 And in remembering the requirement for this tool and the 'theme' here , it was made  for the use of measuring for p/e rigging. So born of 'things not working out'  , it still has use.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 02:03:52 AM by krow113 »

Offline Halus

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 12:49:42 AM »
krow113, that is a cool idea for an instrument to measure distances between two points.  I might have to employ just that if things continue to not work out - thanks!

regards,
Jack

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 12:50:36 AM »
Interesting tool. I like it.

Offline krow113

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 12:52:44 AM »
lol
 I hate it when thing continue to not work out!