Author Topic: Small scale control horns  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Softscience

Small scale control horns
« on: April 18, 2018, 02:15:04 PM »
Hi all. I had some control horns crumble on a 1)72 Roden camel (brittle plastic, you see). I have a few PE from some generic set, but am wondering about best method for attachment, so as not to rip or bend them off once the rigging wires go on.

There is hardly any surface to stick!

Offline krow113

Re: Small scale control horns
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 01:38:38 AM »
Good question.
I think you are pretty limited to cyano or epoxy , of the two I am weaning towards epoxy now.
So tired of multiple applications of cyano that wont hold.
When I did my Biff I made a simple rack to hold the rigging during prep:

That way I made alla the wires and then put them on the model. Attaching the p/e to the wire first.
I hope that helps.

Offline Softscience

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:43:03 AM »
Good question.
I think you are pretty limited to cyano or epoxy , of the two I am weaning towards epoxy now.
So tired of multiple applications of cyano that wont hold.
When I did my Biff I made a simple rack to hold the rigging during prep:

That way I made alla the wires and then put them on the model. Attaching the p/e to the wire first.
I hope that helps.

I had not considered gluing the wire to the horn before gluing the horn to plastic. Interesting.

Do you carve a channel into the plastic where the horn will go, or do you bend a little tab at the bottom of the horn to create a larger surface to adhere with?

Offline krow113

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 09:59:39 AM »
I would cut a line in the plastic and insert the p/e into that.

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 03:32:59 PM »
I don't know if this works in your scale, but in 1/48 this is what I do:

I use pe control horns, mostly from Eduard. When I remove them from the fret, I leave as much from the attatchment as possjble on there. What i mean is that I give the horn a small pin so to say.

That way I can drill a hole (very small, you only need to place the pin) where the horn will come and give it an extra strong bond. Sometimes (with the tails almost always) I need to drill all the way through and place both sides in the same hole, but if you are very carefull with glue, the hole stays open to insert the oposite side
never had any trouble with a contol horn letting go.

Offline Softscience

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 02:27:19 PM »
I know it's been nearly a year since I asked, but I've been away at other things.

Thank you for the replies.

I've also given up on 1/72, and will be attempting the pin method described by Mr. Hiddeous

Bughunter

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 01:42:46 AM »
The PE control horns I know and use have some pin, so I drill small holes and glue the pin in with CA. It is only a problem, if the rudder is thin, then the pin needs to be short.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 03:31:46 AM »
I had a similar problem once, but then I drilled the hole slightly larger and inserted 2 control horns, 1 from each side in the same hole. worked ok so I will use that idea more for when the surfaces are really thin