Author Topic: Seemoos, Lindau, Lake Constance, April 1917, Dornier Rs II  (Read 3828 times)

Offline lone modeller

Seemoos, Lindau, Lake Constance, April 1917, Dornier Rs II
« on: April 18, 2018, 09:36:29 AM »
Evening All,

I have completed this one at last- my first ever attempt at a base for one of my models. This is based on contemporary photographs of the Zeppelin hangar at Seemoos Hafen, Lindau, Lake Constance where giant flying boats were built and test flown under the direction of Claudius Dornier. The turntable rotates because I mounted a small motor underneath it: the battery and switch are concealed in the rear of the display under the hangar floor. The scene depicts the launch of the Rs II in May 1917 after the engines had been fitted with cowlings. All of the features in the diorama are based on what I could see in contemporary photographs, right down to the figures of Claudius Dornier (dark suit) engineer Durr and the sailor standing by the winch shed. The furniture and boxes, etc were also present when the photographs were taken. The civilian figures are from Dart Castings and the naval figure from W D Models. The blank section on the side of the diorama base contains a copy of an original photograph and the following text:

Zeppelin Lindau (Dornier) Rs II, Seemoos, Friedrichshafen, Lake Constance, April 1917

The Zeppelin Lindau (Dornier) Rs II (Reisenfleugzueg: giant aeroplane) is rolled out of the hangar at Seemoos for the next series of test flights after the engines have been enclosed in cowlings to try to stop them from running too cold, and to protect the valves from wind shear. Claudius Dornier (in dark grey suit), and Oberingenieur Durr watch as the machine sits on the turntable and is photographed. One of the men from the works waits by the shed to operate the winch which will let the flying boat run slowly down the slipway which had been built so that flying boats could be launched and retrieved from Lake Constance.

The first of Dornier’s designs was a biplane which was wrecked in a storm before it could fly. The second was a monoplane with three Maybach engines buried in the hull driving pusher propellors via transmission shafts which started trials in May 1916. On a flight trial in July of that year the transmission shaft of the centre engine broke, severely damaging the tail boom so it was decided to rebuild the aircraft. In November 1916 the aircraft appeared from the hangar with a new hull, four engines mounted in tandem above the hull and redesigned stub wings. Originally the engines were uncovered. The model represents the aircraft as it appeared in April 1917 after engine covers had been installed. A month later the biplane elevator at the rear was replaced by simpler fins and rudders. In August 1917 the aircraft was badly damaged again during a long test flight when one of the engines backfired and shattered a propellor. A third design was close to completion by this time so this aircraft was broken up and the parts used for systematic testing, the results being applied to the design and calculation of new R planes.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:53:18 AM by lone modeller »

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Seemoos, Lindau, Lake Constance, April 1917, Dornier Rs II
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 11:29:12 AM »
 Stephen,
Wow that fantastic looking my old friend. Your projects never fail to impress. Outstanding and Well Done.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline krow113

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 12:03:30 PM »
Nice work.
I keep waiting for you to pour water....

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 12:08:45 PM »
Stephen,
     A spectacular model displayed on an equally well done Diorama Base, this is really spectacular work! Congratulations, your work is a credit to your outstanding skills, so much more so given it's all scratch built. True modelling in the purest sense, well done!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 01:35:54 PM »
The finished diorama is really impressive. Outstanding work on both the aeroplane and the base.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 02:55:21 PM »
Very nice result, the dio plus the RS II are great, Stephen. Maybe a Museum will buy it from you  :)
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 04:13:03 PM »
What an amazing diorama and story...  and the plane is awesome, too.

Thank you for sharing!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Mmarchal

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 05:23:08 PM »
Very nice, great work on display!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 11:13:22 PM »
I enjoyed watching the aircraft come together, an amazing build in and of itself! I have also followed the diorama thread closely and must say that the results are incredible! The base really set the model off!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Bughunter

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 04:40:48 AM »
This huge aircraft alone was impressive already, but with this fantastic wooden diorama it looks much better!
Thank you very much also for the detailed build reports.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Borsos

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 07:20:12 AM »
This is simply amazing, Stephen. This is without any doubt a model to be proud of. The dio, the complex construction and everything scratchbuilt! My deepest respect!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 04:12:28 AM »
Spectacular model and impressive dio, Stephen!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 12:45:41 AM »
wow that's pretty and i *finally* fully understand where you're going with this....

my one and only (very minor) criticism is that i would love to see a bit more base area on something like this to make the viewing experience a bit more 'immersive.' i recognize that this aesthetic isn't very wife/partner friendly but having gotten rid of w/p, and liviing in a humble but ample house, i have a different perspective to most...

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 05:31:13 AM »
And I thought that the kit was a masterpiece (which it is), your scratch building is master class.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 09:38:28 PM »
Wow!, that is one impressive display, plane and base.