Author Topic: Superb WnW S.E. 5a Build - Link  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

Superb WnW S.E. 5a Build - Link
« on: October 20, 2012, 10:18:01 AM »
I came across this WnW S.E. 5a build and the workmanship, painting, and photography is so striking that I thought I should post the link in the event you haven't seen it before.

http://dqscaleworks.blogspot.com.es/

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Superb WnW S.E. 5a Build - Link
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 11:02:18 AM »
  The detail, weathering and finish of this Model is absolutely spectacular! Having just finished a similar build recently (McCudden's 4891) I was amazed at some of the results he achieved, the cockpit and external finishing details for example simply "blew me away"!!
   I don't agree with the results of Diego's research however as his subject seems a mix of several of McCudden's aircraft. I don't personally believe 4863 ever sported both the full "tub" cockpit surround and the headrest however my research is admittedly limited to relatively common references. Having said that it takes nothing away from an extremely talented Modeler and an absolutely beautiful Model! Thanks for posting this Chris; think I'll go back to the drawing board again. Seriously, this quality of work is truly an inspiration.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline drdave

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 06:38:04 PM »
The style is very Spanish School.

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 11:34:01 PM »
I personally find the weathering overdone.

Warren

Offline gcn

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 03:30:15 AM »
I have to say I like the style. If we all agreed how dull would that be, but Warren your wrong.  :)

IMO the best representation of RFC fabric I've seen is in this thread. Shame it doesn't seem like he got round to finishing it though. I'm going to try and copy it for my current Bristol build, not sure ill come close to it though.

:edit: idiot I didn't put the link in :-[

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=38565&hl=bristol&st=15
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 08:14:02 AM by gcn »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 06:38:41 AM »
It's all a matter of personal taste and style. I much prefer a weathered (and "heavy" at that) finish to a factory fresh one. As Warren states though, I certainly appreciate talent when I see it. Some of the factory fresh finishes, as I like to call them, that I've seen here and elsewhere require skills and talent well beyond my level. On this one I'm with GCN; this Guy has big talent and the model finish is very well done. :) ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 08:30:33 PM »
I have to say that I'm with Warren and RB on the weathering and 'toyishness' of it. The skill of it is very awesome though (something I wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell of acheiving ::)...so who am I to judge 8)) and it's a great model. It just reminds me of some Warhammer model paintjobs that overaccentuate things and aren't to my taste.
The H219 is pretty awesome.

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 09:46:08 PM »
I wasn't going to say but I also think this model, whilst beautifully presented, is a little overdone.  The artistry, the skills and techniques are stunning, but I would perhaps question the amount of weathering.  At the moment, I tend to add weathering to hide faults in my builds and in my painting techniques!

Offline wunwinglow

• Flying Start Swordfish Build, in progress
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 10:31:32 PM »
Great skill, but too 'un-subtle' for my eyes.   Hey, who am I to comment? All my WNW kits are still in their boxes!!

Tim

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 11:07:17 PM »
The paintwork does look stunning. It looks a bit like a 2d oil painting of an aircraft draped over a 3d model though... just a bit weird, especially with the tones on the wing. I love the finer detailing though, if not the overall impression.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 10:17:34 AM »
i agree with those who say it is overdone, but it is instructive.