Author Topic: 1/72 Roden FWD 3-ton lorry and RPM Mack AC fuel truck  (Read 5710 times)

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
1/72 Roden FWD 3-ton lorry and RPM Mack AC fuel truck
« on: April 17, 2018, 05:59:59 AM »
I'm offering these pics up for the sake of a little extra info in case anyone's wondering about these kits.
For my purposes, they're going to find a place in the background of future scenes/dioramas.

One thing shared by both models is the fiddliness of the chassis and drive train which I guess is typical of vehicles of the period :)

Mark

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
Re: 1/72 Roden FWD 3-ton lorry and RPM Mack AC fuel truck
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 06:02:32 AM »
A couple more pics, first the FWD 3-tonner and then the underside of the Mack fuel truck.

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 06:12:44 AM »
They're both neat little models in 1/72 scale. No great problems with either, except maybe that the RPM kit involves an amazing number of parts for the scale. The engine compartment is quite well detailed as a result, and could be displayed with the hood off. (Picture included taken partway through build) Also, at least as of this edition, the instructions are in Polish only; and there are one or two glitches in the parts numbering to keep you paying attention.

Oh; and although no problems with the Roden decals, I did find the RPM ones awkward to handle, they have thick carrier film.

In general, I wouldn't mind some drivers and other associated figures, mechanics etc., but they're a bit scarce, in 1/72 scale certainly. I'm aware of some 1/76 figures and I guess I'll use them if I have to. It's even more of an issue in 1/48 scale. At least 1/32 is beginning to be well served for this kind of figure. :)

Mark

Offline Borsos

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 06:15:26 AM »
Nicely done. When it comes to 1/72 WWI figures this could be of interest for you:
http://www.wdmodels.com
Best regards
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 06:51:06 AM »
Two very well done vehicles in any scale! The engine and compartment look incredible for 1/72nd.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 07:34:40 AM »
 Mark,
Well Done my old friend. Great details!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 06:56:41 AM »
Thanks for the comments friends :)
I'd want to encourage anyone who finds new examples of kits of contemporary vehicles/airfield equipment etc to post pics after they've glued them together. This sort of thing tends to come from sources many of us have never heard of, and it helps to have an idea of what they look like in the flesh.

Thanks Borsos for reminding me of WDModels, I went and looked at them again and they have some nice new bits and pieces I hadn't seen. For me it's a pity it's they're committed to 1/76 but I fancy some of their figures, some of them for the same project I built these US trucks for.

Cheers
Mark

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 04:10:26 AM »
Two very well done vehicles in any scale! The engine and compartment look incredible for 1/72nd.
RAGIII
What a surprise!  I agree totally with my Amigo!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline JimF

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 12:27:49 AM »
Old thread, but just now caught it.

Yes, 1/76 figure availability far outweighs what's available in 1/72, IF one does not count the plastic sets from different mfrs, such as Airfix.

I did, in the past, do 2 small dioramas, for a few 1/72 armor kits I had done. I did not want to use plastic figures, so I used several 1/76 ones, that were already in poses I wanted. The scale difference was a bit noticeable, but not bad, and most who saw, didn't notice. Just don't mix figs from both scales,

Jim F