Author Topic: New stuff coming from Aviattic  (Read 5075 times)

Offline rayb24

Re: New stuff coming from Aviattic
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 10:24:37 AM »
After asking about the CDL decals, my order of lozenge and PE for the 1/48 DVII arrived today. I am more than impressed and also terrified. I mean I can hear that voice in my head saying oh sh#$%&t I hope I don’t screw these up.
The colours look much better than the Eduard supplied decals and the weave is neat, not over done or out of scale.
Thanks Richard;)

Thanks for posting the real and model view Justin. I can understand now... I think I’ll be ordering. Wife is going to wonder why I get so many parcels lol. 
Ray

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 04:19:02 PM »
So please support the businesses that support our Forum.

Dave Wilson
Forum Administrator

Gold Coast
Australia

Totally agree, Dave.

Richard, deserves our support - bless him  ;)

Von B 

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 06:28:39 PM »
Hi Ray,
I think you'll find the Aviattic decals really make a difference to the finish of a model.
The things to remember with these decals is they are not like standard decals and care is needed to ensure the surface is prepared correctly before applying them.
The decals themselves come as either 'cookie cut' for the relevant aircraft or as full sheets.  With full sheets the decal shapes will need to be cut from the sheet to fit the particular model surface. This might seem a daunting task, but create templates from paper first and once you are happy with the fit, use these to cut out the decal from the sheet.
Before you apply the decal you'll need to apply a base colour to the model. This colour depends on the finish you require, so test on a piece of plastic card fist, especially if you are going to pre-shade the surface as well. Normally the colour will be light, such as white or cream.
Once dry make sure the painted surface is really smooth and free from imperfections, such as trapped dust, scratches etc.  If necessary polish the surface with a polish compound, or sand with a very fine grade paper or sanding stick.  Finally clean the surface thoroughly.
The decal material is surprisingly strong and will stretch slightly if required.  Don't leave the decal soaking for very long or you may 'wash' off the backing too much.
Apply the decal in the normal manner but make sure all air is removed from under the decal. Unlike normal decals, setting solutions such as Micro-Set and Micro-Sol don't seem able to penetrate through the decal material, so are ineffective for bedding down the decals.  Consequently any air trapped under the decals, once dry, will cause silvering, which is difficult to eradicate.

If you are unsure, practice first - they need a different approach to normal decals, but are worth it, as the finished effect they create is very realistic.

I build in 1:32 scale and my last two models have Aviattic decals (Fokker E.V and the Sopwith Pup) and both required cutting from decal sheets. Both have build logs in PDF format on my model site - you can download or refer to them if needed.

http://igavh2.xara.hosting

Mike 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 06:44:47 PM by sandbagger »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Europapete

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 10:18:13 PM »
Morning all, like many here I love the Aviattic product, but we do live on a budget so it's a case of buy some, save up , buy more, repeat. With the number ( and SIZE!) of WNW kits in the stash and each needing multiple sheets of decals and other A/M stuff such as Taurus and Gaspatch, I find that I alternate the buying sessions between sources. one order for Aviattic, the next for Taurus, etc. I go through the stash and list what each kit needs and make up a shopping list for each supplier and place an order. Unfortunately each list usually is more than the current budget allows, so parts get ordered in batches. Luckily for Richard, his list is up next! lol.  Regards Pete in RI

Aviattic

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 08:38:19 AM »
Thanks for the encouraging responses and support everyone.

best wishes, Richard

Offline zavod44

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 12:20:26 AM »
I love these decals.......they are so great, and the customer service is great.  These really take my models to the next level.....

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2018, 04:19:00 AM »
Yes, despite the obvious quality of 'Aviattics' figures, resin parts, vehicles etc, I think it's their decals, especially the linen effect decals, that has cemented their reputation in the modelling world.

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.