Author Topic: Paul Vogels Pfalz D.XII tail markings  (Read 1587 times)

Offline jeroen_R90S

Paul Vogels Pfalz D.XII tail markings
« on: April 03, 2018, 07:46:42 PM »
Out of curiosity; what's going on with the tail stripes of 2486/18 as flow by the unfortunate Paul Vogel?

What appears as a large white band in the WNW kit, appears to have another slightly slanted band painted on? Or was this added later by the Allies? Doesn't appear to be a shadow either...

Curious...

Jeroen

Offline Petie2nd

Re: Paul Vogels Pfalz D.XII tail markings
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 09:53:19 AM »
This aircraft was heavily souvenired before those photos were taken. It had also turned over in the crash. In the side view, on Page 22 of the WNW instructions (also on Page 4 of "Pfalz D.XII at War", Datafile 146), the "band" looks more like a strip of color torn off the surface. It isn't straight, or even. If you don't have either of these, you can still download the instruction booklet from WNW's site.

I believe the colors as shown were "reconstructed" based on what is known about the unit markings.

Rich

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 03:54:58 PM »
Looks like the best markings I've seen on the Pfalz D.XII.  The Jasta 23 tail is soon to feature in one of my builds, I reckon.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 04:39:05 PM »
Could very well be it, Rich! I went through the WNW booklet again and on the view taken from 3/4 rear right a slight strip of the band remains on the fuselage underside. That shows no extra banding or something.
The colour matches that of the stuff underneath the removed cross as well. :)

Gaz, yes, I've liked this scheme too, though Pheon Decals has many more! :)

Jeroen