Author Topic: Lo... and behold  (Read 2553 times)

Offline GazzaS

Lo... and behold
« on: March 30, 2018, 11:18:53 AM »
Hi everyone,
    It seems the more research I do, the more planes show up with Udet's famous "Lo".  Everything from the Albatros to the Fokker D.VII to the SSW D.III.

Did he really fly all of these things?

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline rayb24

Re: Lo... and behold
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 12:33:53 PM »
And more, he flew Eindeckers and DII/DIII these were in 1916. The famous one being a DII/diii with a sheet metal dummy on the fuselage to make it look like a two seater.

I believe Udet succumbed to ear problems and was out of action for a long time. Many months in fact. Makes you wonder if he would have Scored more than Richthofen
Ray

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 01:00:41 PM »
The famous one being a DII/diii with a sheet metal dummy on the fuselage to make it look like a two seater.

It was a Fokker D.III (368/16)

(Fokker D.II & D.III look similar but shared almost nothing -- kind of like Pup & Camel in that respect. Span, chord, fuselage, undercarriage -- all different.)

Offline Borsos

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 04:29:46 PM »
He truly flew a lot of Lo! - marked planes, I remember at least two Albatros D V(a), a Fokker Dr. I and at least three Fokker D. VII. But there is only one pic of Udet in the cockpit of a Siemens Schuckert D. III with a red painted fuselage and a white Lo! on its sides. researchers doubt that he ever flew it.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 05:03:12 PM »
There are just so many WWI profiles out there, I'm wondering which ones to trust.  I'll probably never build the SSW...  It's just ugly.

Gaz

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 12:21:15 AM »
There are just so many WWI profiles out there, I'm wondering which ones to trust.  I'll probably never build the SSW...  It's just ugly.

Gaz

Gaz,
    Don't be so hasty, it's a solid Kit and with a few modifications to correct a couple of minor flaws it builds into a very impressive model. There's lots of after market goodies for it, an excellent PE Set by Brengun and the Aviattic decals not to mention Aviattic's resin engine. Des did a beautiful job on the Kit as covered on the home web site here and several have been done by members here  as well. Following your posts here you seem to like a bit of a challenge, I know you'd enjoy this one! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline JCoatney

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 03:28:41 AM »
Also, the SSW D.III/D.IV were arguably the best fighter aircraft in the war.  Their rate of climb and ceiling were phenomenal for the era.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 06:22:45 AM »

Gaz

Gaz,
    Don't be so hasty, it's a solid Kit and with a few modifications to correct a couple of minor flaws it builds into a very impressive model. There's lots of after market goodies for it, an excellent PE Set by Brengun and the Aviattic decals not to mention Aviattic's resin engine. Des did a beautiful job on the Kit as covered on the home web site here and several have been done by members here  as well. Following your posts here you seem to like a bit of a challenge, I know you'd enjoy this one! :)
Cheers,
Lance

I'm not arguing about kit quality as I've seen some impressive builds of it.  I just don't like the shape of it.  It's tubby.  The shape I like is the shark:  Albatros Fighters, Roland D.II(really want someone to make one), Roland C.II, Pfalz D.III.  ...etc...

Even the Fokker Dr.I  It's pretty tubby itself, but I bought one anyway.  It's just too iconic to not build with it's many color schemes and I want to try out the olive-stripey effect.

Also, the SSW D.III/D.IV were arguably the best fighter aircraft in the war.  Their rate of climb and ceiling were phenomenal for the era.
I've heard a little about it's performance.  But it's shape just isn't graceful.  I can accept a block-ish, aggressive shape like the SE-5 and Fokker D.VII.  It's length that adds grace.

Gaz

Offline Borsos

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 06:56:08 AM »
I was long time thinking exactly like you regarding the Siemens Schuckert. But one day it made "click" in my mind and I saw a very special beauty in her.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 07:33:29 AM »
    Too funny Gaz, I got a good laugh out of "I just don't like the shape of it.  It's tubby."! Can't dispute the facts! I'd bet there's better odds we'd have the same preferences in beer! ;)
   To my eye it's a mean looking machine that grows on you as Borsos infers. Mind you I can't really think of any of the designs that don't appeal to me, except maybe the Floh!   I'll get back on topic now; a bunch of Udet's aircraft would be nice to see here, he was one of the great ones IMHO and had such a sad ending.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 01:35:11 PM »
    Too funny Gaz, I got a good laugh out of "I just don't like the shape of it.  It's tubby."! Can't dispute the facts! I'd bet there's better odds we'd have the same preferences in beer! ;)
   To my eye it's a mean looking machine that grows on you as Borsos infers. Mind you I can't really think of any of the designs that don't appeal to me, except maybe the Floh!   I'll get back on topic now; a bunch of Udet's aircraft would be nice to see here, he was one of the great ones IMHO and had such a sad ending.
Cheers,
Lance

Lance, I like a lot of different beers.  But my favorite is free beer.   ;)

I agree...  The Floh is tubby, too.  But there are a lot of other aircraft with interesting looks.  The early Nieuports and Camels are nice looking planes...  but cursed with the rotary engine.

Gaz

Offline rayb24

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 11:02:41 PM »
Lol the Siemens sounds like the Eggplane of WW1
Ray