Author Topic: Encore Roden Albatros D.II  (Read 1894 times)

Offline GazzaS

Encore Roden Albatros D.II
« on: March 30, 2018, 11:10:27 AM »
Hi everyone,
    I've recently been reading up on this kit.  However, it only seems to be available from a few people in the US, and the shipping rates would be beyond what I consider a fair spend.

I've read that the Encore kit is just a Roden D.I with cabane struts and Teeves und Braun radiator as well as other nice resin and PE parts.  If that is so, is there anything more to change between a D.I and a D.II?  Does Roden even make a D.II kit?

Thanks!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Borsos

Re: Encore Roden Albatros D.II
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 04:40:22 PM »
Hey Gaz,
no, Roden never released an Albatros D. II.
I do have both kits and wouldn't spend a large amount of money for the encore kit. the Encore Albatros D. II contains the Roden D I plastic, an eduard PE fret and some resin parts e. g. a stiffy Boelcke and a Mercedes engine. You can use a WNW engine, enhance it with some Taurus resin parts, that's at least equal to the resin parts of the encore kit. Then add the Part PE fret for the D I (including the ear radiators), scratch the struts and you got it. I got in contact with Koloman Mayrhofer when I built my D. I and asked him for the differences between a D. I and a D. II. Most differences were not to be seen in 1:32, he replied. Given the fact that some D I in the making ended up being delivered as D. II, these differences cannot be crucial. But it is very difficult to obtain any photos of a D I interior, as just some 50 were built and the D. II was delivered simultaneously in much greater numbers.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 05:08:23 PM »
Thanks for the reply Borsos.  I've been toying with buying another Mercedes sprue from WNW when I finally get around to my next Roden Alb.  I've noticed that that sprue contains the part for two motors.  What is the second motor?

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 09:24:07 PM »
Thanks for the reply Borsos.  I've been toying with buying another Mercedes sprue from WNW when I finally get around to my next Roden Alb.  I've noticed that that sprue contains the part for two motors.  What is the second motor?

Gaz

It is two versions of the same motor, and there are not enough parts to make two - only one crankcase from memory

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline jamieg

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 10:19:19 PM »
Gaz;

If you watch ebay for awhile you will find that the encore D.II frequently sells for less than the Roden D.I on which it is based. Most US sellers don't seem to realise that there are cheaper international postage options than the Priority international option, so contact the seller and suggest the cheaper methods before bidding. Even with the higher postage the Encore version is still often cheaper in total price than the original Roden kit.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 10:57:06 PM »
Gaz,
I think I can help you out a little here. I have the Encore DII that I pirated the PE from for my current DIII build. So I have the DII Cabanes, Interplane Struts, (in white metal),the ear radiators and PE Teeves and Braun radiator, and the instructions showing where to drill holes for the struts and locate all of the above. So you just need some Eduard PE and whatever else you want to enhance the Rodan kit. PM me if Interested.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler