Author Topic: Adhesive too hot? Roden Dr1 wing trailing edge  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Kurt_W

Adhesive too hot? Roden Dr1 wing trailing edge
« on: March 22, 2018, 08:39:38 AM »
All,

I'm just getting back into this after about 30 years of modeling inactivity. So please bear with the dumb rookie questions.

The Roden Dr1 is the kit I'm working on. Engine is going together without too many problems, although it sure isn't looking as good as some of the other examples I've seen on other builds.

My question is more about the wing assemblies. I noticed the trailing edge on each wing piece is pretty thin. Like almost see-through. And what I was afraid of has happened. The adhesive I'm using at the moment is Plastruct Bondene. It's the only one the local hobby shop had. If you can call 35 miles away local.

Could be I used too much of the stuff, or maybe I should be using CA, or some other adhesive. I can probably save it, but there's a fair bit of distortion along the trailing edge to the point where the scallops between ribs is not uniform as it was before applying the adhesive. I can most likely clean it up with sandpaper and a dowel, and considering it's for my grandson, I doubt he'll notice. But for future reference I'd like to avoid this.

Any suggestions on an adhesive to use here?

Again, sorry for the rookie question. It's been a long time.

Thanks,

Kurt

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Adhesive too hot? Roden Dr1 wing trailing edge
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 11:02:56 AM »
For bonding styrene to styrene nothing beats Tamiya Extra Thin Cement imo. (Widely avail online if not at your LHS)

Offline rayb24

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 11:48:24 AM »
Have to agree on the extra thin Tamiya liquid glue. you really don’t need much, touch the brush to the edge and let capillaryaction do it’s stuff.
Ray 

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 12:34:25 PM »
you really don’t need much, touch the brush to the edge and let capillaryaction do it’s stuff.

Yep, what Ray said. Dry fit the parts and tap the edge with the brush, and let the stuff suck into the seam. Presto.

Offline Kurt_W

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 12:58:45 AM »
Thanks all.

I think I'll chalk this one up to operator error, more than anything else. Going to have to be a little more careful on the remaining wings.

Tamiya adhesive has been ordered and on the way.

Kurt