Author Topic: WNW Fokker E.I wing ribs  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Black Max 72

WNW Fokker E.I wing ribs
« on: March 15, 2018, 07:39:59 PM »
Hi Gents
I'm preparing to make a start on my WNW Fokker E.I and I have a question about WNW's depiction of the wing ribs. On their  other kits that I own (SE5a, Alb DVa etc) the rib stitching and fabric strips that cover the stitching are depicted beautifully yet on the fokker E.I they are only represented as a thin raised line, very reminiscent of the way 70's era kits represented wing ribs. Now I'm hoping that this isn't sloppiness on WNWs part, I am aware that some early aircraft had wooden batans nailed to the rib to affix the fabric, is this what they are trying to represent? I guess my other question is how would one go about rib shading this? Normally I would lay the base coat, then lay the AZIU tape on the rib strip and shade with Tamiya smoke or the like but the thin raised strip is too thin for that. I was thinking of spraying Tamiya smoke then lightly dry brushing the raised rib strip the base colour. I'm curious how others dealt with this. I am assuming that this is intentional on the part of WNW but am I wrong to assume this and is this one of those rare cases where they got it wrong or am I missing something in my research.

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD

Offline rayb24

Re: WNW Fokker E.I wing ribs
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 09:05:04 PM »
In pictures of the real thing the ribs are that subtle.
Upper wing shows slightly in this picture
http://www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl/wiki/index.php/Afbeelding:Fokker_E.III_Ernst_Freiherr_von_Althaus.jpg

Ray

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 10:02:07 PM »
In pictures of the real thing the ribs are that subtle.
Upper wing shows slightly in this picture
http://www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl/wiki/index.php/Afbeelding:Fokker_E.III_Ernst_Freiherr_von_Althaus.jpg

Ray

Just had another look at the photos in the instruction manual, you're spot on ray, they are very subtle. It's obvious that WNW have accurately represented their structure. It would be interesting to know the technique

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 12:59:00 AM »
i'd be keen on the technique too, as "what's it made of" has a lot to do with "what do i think it should look like, made really small?"

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 07:17:12 AM »
Strips of cane. Don’t forget, the whole wings flexed; their are no ailerons.

Of course (cue the sound of my palm slapping my forehead!) The wings have to twist and flex so cane rib capping makes a lot of sense. I imagine most of the early wing warpers had the same feature. Now I am wondering if Achim Engel's very accurate E.III replica has this period accurate feature or whether more modern covering techniques have replaced it, hmm looks like I might have to take a trip down the road to Caboolture QLD to check it out.