Author Topic: Attaching Bob's Buckles to Control Horns  (Read 2098 times)

Offline GazzaS

Attaching Bob's Buckles to Control Horns
« on: March 14, 2018, 08:00:22 AM »
Hi Everyone,
   I'm about to start rigging my model, and I'm curious as to whether there is more to attaching eyelets to control horns than a bit of CA.  Or, is some other type of cement better?

Do we reinforce the CA with another cement?  ...or try to smooth out the join with a filler?

I have two kinds of control horns.  PE and plastic.  Neither are big enough for me to drill into.

Do I attach the eyelet to the very tip of the guide horn, or off to the side?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Attaching Bob's Buckles to Control Horns
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 08:18:54 AM »
Gaz,
    What type and size of bits do you have? Some parts, control horns being the worst IMHO, are difficult but can be drilled with a little care. If your drills are the problem take a look at the drill bits unlimited products in the Vendors section here, I believe the majority of our members use them and he gives a discount to members.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 08:47:17 AM »
Hi Lance,
    Thank you for the quick response!  My smallest bit is .5mm  I've had some a little smaller, but they never lasted very long so I never replaced them.  Not sure what brand they are, but my LHS doesn't carry them any more and they always seem to come in a set of various sizes, most of which never get used.   Who wants to pay 20$ for a set of bits which you will use only a few, buying more of the ones you already have but don't use?

Anyway...  I have some PE horns on the elevator which are parallel with the direction of travel.  So drilling through them is a no-go either way.  But gluing eyelets to them in a neat and tidy manner is a huge question since they will be very delicate and difficult to shape once glued.

Everything is so delicate at this stage.  I can see why some drill through the wings and surfaces, now.

Gaz

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 10:03:10 AM »
Like Lance I suggest you get over to DBU, avail yourself of the nice forum discount, and buy about 20 .25mm and .3mm bits. That's the size you want for your eyelet sockets. They are carbon steel (not HSS like hobby shop junk) and sharp as hell -- but very brittle  -- no side loads tolerated. You will break them all eventually, but that's just part of the game.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 12:56:29 PM »
Guys,
    Thank you for the recommendation.

Gaz

Offline Kurt_W

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 08:00:53 AM »
Like Lance I suggest you get over to DBU, avail yourself of the nice forum discount, and buy about 20 .25mm and .3mm bits. That's the size you want for your eyelet sockets. They are carbon steel (not HSS like hobby shop junk) and sharp as hell -- but very brittle  -- no side loads tolerated. You will break them all eventually, but that's just part of the game.

I'd be interested in finding some of these bits. Who is DBU?

Thanks,

Kurt

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 08:21:56 AM »
Hi Kurt, look under The Hobby Shop Section for "Drill Bits Unlimited"