Author Topic: Non-Brass PE  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Trackpad

Non-Brass PE
« on: March 09, 2018, 12:47:41 PM »
Hi,

I'm building the WNW Albatros DV. One of the aftermarket items I want to use is the HGW Surface Detail Set (#132056). Rather than being offered in brass, this set looks to be in an aluminum- or steel-like material. I've no experience with this (my few PE usages have been in brass). I'd like to hear from anyone who has used this material: can it be annealed and, if so, how successful is the annealing; will the parts adapt to a curved surface easily; is any one glue better for this material than others. Any other thoughts, hints or ideas will be most welcome. TIA for any information!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
Re: Non-Brass PE
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 03:38:33 PM »
like most pe-sets these days, this is simply plated brass.

I don't know exactly why they do that, but Eduard (and thus HGW, same company) has been using that technique for many years. If you scratch the surface slightly, you will see brass underneath a very thin steel-like caoting.

I actually prefer this coating, if you airbrush a matt coat on it, it turns a slightly darker, dull metal colour that looks a lot like wheatered metal and I use some parts unpainted in that fashion ( I am a huge Eduard fan, use it on most of my 1/48 builds).
You don't need to remove the plating or anything or clean anything, you can use tha parts straight from the fret as they are,

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 06:36:05 PM »
Are you sure it isn't nickel silver? Seems more likely than plating

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 04:45:21 AM »
no, the stuff Trackpad is talking about (HGW surface details for Alb) is stainless steel.

You can anneal it, but why? none of the items in the set I can think of need anything other than the gentlest of bends.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 07:51:39 AM »
This is what it looks like applied. Red arrows are items from HGW 132056. (blue arrows are kitchen-sink PE or stuff I scratched from sheetmetal). The round hatches only require a tiny bit of bending to conform. you Can do that with an X-acto knife handle, just gently rolling in the correct direction on your cutting mat. The strap at the back (blurred out in photo, but it's there) doesn't require annealing to conform, just start in the middle and gently form it around the fuselage.

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 08:01:34 AM »
you used it so you must know more than me, but it still looks llike a standard Eduard set to me and that is nickel plated brass.
you can try to sctratch the surface of the fret/frame to be shure but I would be very dissapointed if it really is anything other than plated brass.
Eduard have never done anything other than brass as far as I know, even their new 'steel' sets are not steel as far as I know.
but that is just my 2 cents

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 08:31:44 AM »
Gentlemen, thank you for your comments and suggestions. All were very useful, and I feel much more optimistic as I move towards working with this set. Best regards, and thanks again!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 09:41:29 AM »
you used it so you must know more than me, but it still looks llike a standard Eduard set to me and that is nickel plated brass.
you can try to sctratch the surface of the fret/frame to be shure but I would be very dissapointed if it really is anything other than plated brass.
Eduard have never done anything other than brass as far as I know, even their new 'steel' sets are not steel as far as I know.

You are right Hidde, I was fooled. The stuff is plated brass!

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 10:15:10 AM »

You are right Hidde, I was fooled. The stuff is plated brass!

Thanks, Both!  8)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:21:19 AM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary