Author Topic: Our Nigel Jackson has passed away  (Read 5627 times)

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Our Nigel Jackson has passed away
« on: March 06, 2018, 05:57:01 PM »
Hello friends,
  I apologise if this is already known, but I got a message from Nigel's wife in answer to one I sent a while back.  She
said that Nigel had lost a battle with Cancer, passing on January 22.  He was in hospital for four months before his death.
  It was a shock to say the least, losing such a true gentleman and friend to all of us. Rest in peace Nigel.

Ernie
The new old guy, take two...

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Our Nigel Jackson has passed away
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 07:09:08 PM »
Oh dear me. What a sad news.

Condolence to his family and all friends.
Rest in peace, Nigel.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 07:39:22 PM »
Oh, more sad news...
Rest in peace, Nigel.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline ondra

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 08:16:50 PM »
Oh no, that is very sad news. :(

Blue skies, Nigel.

Ondra

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 09:19:47 PM »
That is very tragic news and we will all mourn Nigel's passing. He joined the forum in November 2012 and was a significant member for his many helpful posts over the years. He will be missed for sure and his memory should be treasured.

Tragically, too many of our WW1 forum family are passing away and we can only send our deepest condolences to their family and friends, as we do now to Nigel's family.

Rest in Peace Nigel.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 10:14:31 PM »
very sorry to hear.

deepest condolences to the family.

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 10:24:32 PM »
Nigel was a good friend and “a proper gent” who Sabine and I had met twice at Telford. Being a fellow emigre to France we had much in common – aside from modelling WWI aeroplanes! He was helpful in getting my UK voting rights sorted out, among other things.

As I understand it, we also shared an “association” with kidney cancer – I have been enormously fortunate so far, in that the removal of my tumour was done before it had spread too far – Nigel was not so lucky, it seems.

It is obvious that Nigel’s loss saddens me deeply but I was taught to try to find some good in bad situations and in this case let me urge anyone reading this to look to their own health. Having led a life free from any serious illness, in the last year there were six "attempts on my life": one from heart disease (cured just in time with a stent implant) followed by the urgent removal of a kidney and its attendant 1.5kg tumor. Then a bout of toxic shock syndrome (luckily before I left hospital). More recently two epileptic episodes caused by the cancer reappearing in  two areas of my brain, one before and one after a totally unrelated diverticulitis abscess in my colon, which required further surgery.

I mention all this not to elicit any sympathy (heaven forbid!!!!) or to divert anything from Nigel’s death but simply to say that, had I not made a considerable effort to gain some fitness through cycling (working up to 100-150kms per week) and moderating my diet – particularly alcohol consumption – in the last two years (and before the problems showed up), my various doctors and surgeons are convinced that I would not have survived these multiple assaults – I simply would not have had the fitness for my raddled 64 year old body to cope. They all (surgeons, doctors, nurses, ambulance drivers, helicopter pilot - yep, seriously! - , administrators, cleaners and all the others I forgot to mention) did an outstanding job on the medical care front and we owe them all an obligation to help them to help us.

Please, please, do look to your own health, it may not save you, we all succumb eventually, but it just might give you a better chance of survival and help your health workers to get the best results from their dedicated efforts.

One last point: I read that 75% of kidney cancers are discovered by chance – usually as the result of some other investigation of medical symptoms – and that these discoveries usually occur in people aged 63, on average. It seems that because we have two kidneys, if one is attacked by the cancer and ceases or reduces functioning, the other one gradually “takes up the slack” and we just don’t notice – I can say from personal experience that my one remaining kidney is doing fine! So if you have anything untoward appear (I think in Nigel’s case it was back pain, in mine it showed up in an echography examination related to heart arrhythmia)– see your doctor as soon as you can; Kidney Cancer can be cured very often if it is caught early enough.

I don’t mean to sound “preachy” but seriously, do at least consider getting yourself into better shape – you are never too old to start an exercise regime but do it gently at first, for goodness sake!

Miss you, Nigel.

Rowan
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline Adam

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 11:07:54 PM »
Very sad news.
Rest in piece Nigel.

Adam.

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 11:31:40 PM »
Condolences to his family :( SAd news indeed!
Rest in Peace Nigel
Think globally, act locally!

Offline macsporran

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 11:37:14 PM »
I never had the pleasure of meeting Nigel in person, but always looked forward to his informed, helpful and courteous contributions to our little world. I will miss these.
Thank you for letting us know Ernie and, would it be an imposition perhaps, to ask you to let his family know of the respect and affection in which he will always be held in this global community.
Sandy

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 11:54:50 PM »
Very sad news. Another true gentleman lost. Thank you Rowan for your words on this. Everyone carries a lesson they can teach.

Steve

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 12:04:20 AM »
Sad News Indeed! His posts and contributions were a very positive force on the Forum. RIP Nigel
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 12:59:28 AM »
What terrible news. My deepest condolences to his family.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 01:01:50 AM »
Very sad news indeed, and Thank You Rowan for your very sage words. I suppose given that a large portion of our group are of "advanced " years, to put it delicately,
loss of treasured members and indeed friends is to be expected, however it's never easy.  Nigel was such a gentle spoken, kind, and engaging fellow, a true gentleman I wish I could have known directly, and better. Sincere condolences to Ena and the rest of his family, he will surely be missed.
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 01:22:40 AM »
Oh dear. Very sad to hear this. Condolences to Nigel's family.