Author Topic: New from Gaspatch Models  (Read 3060 times)

Offline wmoran

New from Gaspatch Models
« on: March 03, 2018, 07:18:27 AM »
I saw a posting for Palmer spoked wheels on LSP, and when I went to Gaspatch's website, I also saw that they now have vane gun sights available in 1/32 & 1/48.  So many two-seaters have the vane sights on their Lewis guns in photos, but up to now, the only way to replicate them was PE, and I have a real problem putting together PE parts that small.  The material that Gaspatch's products are made of is really tough, so these small parts should be strong.  I just hope they look to-scale because I thing their 1/32 turnbuckles look oversized for the scale.  Here is the link to the vane gun sights:

http://www.gaspatchmodels.com/gun-sights/

Bill

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: New from Gaspatch Models
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 08:18:24 AM »
    Those look really nice Bill. Thanks for the Link and please let us know how they work out scale wise.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 10:17:02 PM »
cool stuff. can't wait to see some on a build so i can decide if they'll work for me...

Offline janh

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 08:18:05 PM »
some historic info on lewis gunsights:
https://forum.axishistory.com//viewtopic.php?t=17649

Offline wmoran

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 11:04:23 AM »
Thanks for the historic info on these sights.  It's very interesting reading.

Bill

Offline davecww1

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 04:35:25 AM »
Those look good!  I was asking Costas a couple of years ago if he could do a LePrieur sight for Nieuports but he responded that he didn't think there would be any demand for those.  Maybe if he sells a bunch of these and more people ask for them he will respond.
Dave

Offline krow113

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 07:37:29 AM »
They are nice...

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 07:56:33 AM »
GasPatch's new 1/32 scale vane gun sights will be the subject of a forthcoming review on the Forum.

In a word, they are exquisite!

Thanks to GasPatch's support of the Forum we will have several other reviews of their wonderful products along soon. These include the Palmer spoked wheels and the Spandau 08/15 extended loading handle Fokker version guns earmarked for my Wingnuts Junkers D.1.

Stay tuned folks!

Dave Wilson

Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 01:35:40 AM »
Good stuff!

Offline wmoran

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 07:03:49 AM »
Dave,

When you're doing the review (or whoever does the review), please make note that you really need to cut one of the end guards off the molding block and then use a fine saw to cut the sights off at the base.  The 3D printing supports then can then easily be clipped off with some flush cutters.  If you try removing the sights individually, they are so crowded on the block that you can't readily get clippers in there to cut them off.  The material Gaspatch uses in their 3D printing is really tough, but these sights are really fine and can be broken without much effort.  I know that because I tried cutting off the just the two I wanted and ended up breaking one and losing a couple more which broke off during my attempt to snip the others.

Based on pictures in the WNW Salmson USAS instruction manual, I cut off the sights on the kit Lewis guns, drilled holes in their places, and inserted small lengths of .4 mm brass tubing.  The Gaspatch sights fit perfectly into the tubes on the right gun, and I left the tubes empty on the left gun as shown in the photo.  Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures, and my storage for the assembled MGs (a medicine bottle) let them rattle enough that the front sight broke.

Bill