Author Topic: Nieuport 17 "Flyboys", Eduard 1:48  (Read 2127 times)

Bughunter

Nieuport 17 "Flyboys", Eduard 1:48
« on: February 28, 2018, 03:52:42 AM »
Nieuport 17 "Flyboys"  

My second model of 2018 is finished, a Nieuport 17 in the colors of the movie "Flyboys", which was build from a "Limited Edition" kit of Eduard in 1/48.

This model is my tribute to Des, because he passed away during my build and this posting was the last one in my threads:
Very nice Frank, great to see another Nieuport 17 being built, what you have done so far is looking pretty good, I will be following the progress of this build.

Des.
So I wanted to go to my limits and deliver the best quality I'm able to. Whenever I see this little Nieuport in the glass cabinet I will remember him.
Blue skies Des.

Beside the kit (which do not contain any PE) I used a PE set of the normal Profipack. Other used aftermarket parts are a rotary engine from Small Stuff, a Lewis and turnbuckles from Gaspatch and a Vickers PE set from Part. The V-struts, skid, windscreen and airscrew are made from real wood and some parts, e.g. the cowlings are created on my lathe.
Alclad II metallics and Gunze acryls are used for the painting and oils for the weathering.

A extensive build report with many more macro pictures can be found here: https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9172.0
And now have fun with the virtual tour around the model:

And now I'm very curious to know your opinion about this colorful Nieuport!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Nieuport 17 "Flyboys", Eduard 1:48
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 04:16:52 AM »
Frank,
     An absolutely stunning presentation of the Modeller's art. It's a magnificent model, and a wonderful tribute to Des. My sincere congratulations on a beautiful Build, and Thanks for sharing it here, and with Des's memory.
Cheers,
Lance

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 04:38:17 AM »
Masterful model Frank.  Loved the build log immensely.  Beautiful tribute to Des, he is so missed.  Congrats.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 08:15:17 AM »
What a worthy tribute to Des. That is one of the very best Nieuports that I have seen in any scale, and a very informative build log. Thank you Frank for both.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 09:24:48 AM »
I enjoyed watching your processes in your build log. A true Masterpiece of Modeling in any scale! I am sure your Nieuport is far more accurate than the original Movie version!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 10:42:55 AM »
I enjoyed watching your processes in your build log. A true Masterpiece of Modeling in any scale! I am sure your Nieuport is far more accurate than the original Movie version!
RAGIII
I totally agree with my Amigo, Frank!  And what a wonderful tribute to Des.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 11:48:09 PM »
Great looking model. Great tribute to Des. The model will stand and we will miss Des. It will be so...
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.