Author Topic: Question re Fokker Dr.1 rib tapes  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Brad Fallen

Question re Fokker Dr.1 rib tapes
« on: February 25, 2018, 10:05:50 PM »
Hi all, I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with.

Somehow for my sins I am currently building two Dr.1 kits - the old Revell 1/28 kit for a club display, and Encore's boxing of Roden's 1/32 kit. The idea was to familiarise myself with the type through the Roden kit, so I'd be better informed about details when I started the Revell build. Ironically it's the Encore kit that I have put aside in frustration, while I am really enjoying the challenge of tarting up and correcting the Revell kit. Seems I'm more prepared to forgive the errors in a 60 year old kit than I am a ten-year old one! I'll get myself organised and post some pics soon.

Anyway, one thing I am not clear on, and can't find definitive references for, is where the wing rib tapes start and finish.  On the upper surfaces, do the tapes continue on over on top of the scalloped plywood formers right up to the leading edge (as Eduard depict in their 1/48 kits), or do the front end of the tapes finish at the back end of the plywood? The plans in the Windsock Datafile seem to suggest this, although to my mind Eduard's representation makes more sense. Period photos aren't clear, and new-build walk arounds (with their potential accuracy issues) don't seem to focus on the wing surfaces much. On the lower surfaces, I'm more confident that the tapes go right to the leading edge, but again grateful for advice!

Thanks Brad

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: Question re Fokker Dr.1 rib tapes
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 02:45:45 AM »
So, the rib tapes cover the stitching that binds the fabric skin to the ribs. Those stitches will stop at the edge of the plywood - there's nothing to stitch the fabric to. That's a reasonable bit of logic for stopping the tapes short

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!