Author Topic: New Arrival  (Read 2336 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
New Arrival
« on: February 21, 2018, 09:12:53 AM »
    This arrived at the Post Office today............ Andreas made me do it with his terrific Build! Does anyone know if Boelcke flew the D.II or just the D.III?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: New Arrival
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 09:23:17 AM »
No photos exist that I know of with Boelcke & Fokker D.II. Jasta 2's initial complement seems to have been a mixed bag of Fokker E.IVs, Fokker D.IIIs, and possibly a Halberstadt D.I or D.II.

Boelcke used the Fokker D.III with some success in the interim period flying mostly lone wolf patrols while working up his cubs on the basics and waiting for the Albatros D.Is and D.II to arrive.

All the above from memory cuz I'm too lazy to walk upstairs and look it up, so caveats of creeping senility apply...

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 11:00:35 AM »
So, senility check:

According to Bronnenkant PlM vol 1 (a must if you are interested in Boelcke & Immelmann) the original complement at Velú in Sept '16 -- when Jasta 2 started operations--  were a single Fokker D.III (352/16), a Fokker D.I(!) and an Albatros D.I which was brought over by a transferring pilot from Jasta 1. Boelcke is thought to have flown all three on operations. The two Fokkers arrived on Sept 1, it's unclear when the transferred Alb D.I arrived; the factory deliveries of Albatros D types (I & II simultaneously
) commenced on Sept 16.

Besides 352/16, there is a series of photos of Boelcke sitting in an unarmed D.III, apparently at Schwerin. This aircraft possibly became 350/16 which a number of well-known photos exist in military configuration.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 01:07:11 AM »
Bo,
    I much appreciate your efforts and the information, looks like the D.II is a non -starter wrt Boelcke. Now it would be a nice touch if they, or maybe Wingnuts would release a Halberstadt. The short transition period from the Fokker and Pfalz monoplanes to the classic Albatros line is pretty significant in the context of air fighting tactics which "The Master" spear headed.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 01:49:53 AM »
I am sure you won't regret the purchase, Lance! And I couldn't agree more: A Halberstadt biplane is on the top of my wishlist too.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.