Author Topic: Junkers DI article by Peter Grosz and Gerard Terry. Air Enthusiast #25, 1984  (Read 5422 times)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
This article is one of the references recommended by Wingnut Wings and it's very good. Here is a quote:

ln the post-war fighting between volunteer German units and Russian Bolshevik troops in the Baltic countries, both the Junkers D I and the two-seat Cl I fighters saw intensive combat service. Air support was provided by Kamp/Geschwader Sachsenberg under command of the redoubtable Ltn Gotthard Sachsenberg. On 8 September 1919, after his return to Germany, Sachsenberg wrote Junkers that he had requested and received approximately 30 Junkers aircraft, split in equal parts between the Cl I and D I. Except for a few photographs, little is known of the history of the first all-metal aircraft in combat.

Sachsenberg continued: "The Junkers aircraft have proved themselves beyond all expectation. The weather resistance of the aircraft is so great, that it was possible to allow the aircraft to stand for weeks on end in the open during the snow, rain and thaw of the March season. A tarpaulin cover over the propeller and engine sufficed to provide protection. Since neither tents nor hangars were available, no other aircraft except the Junkers would have been able to serve in Russia at that time . . . the advantage of the weather resistance, the exceptional speed and invulnerability of the aircraft outweigh the small disadvantages. ln crashes and emergency landings relatively little occurred . . . the Junkers aircraft, with improvement, will without doubt, take first rank as a combat type."

Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Thanks for making that available.

Steve

Offline rhwinter

Thanks for making that available.

Steve

Dito!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Jamo, my thanks as well; it's a very interesting read. I may have to give this release a little more consideration........ :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Rob_Owens

I'm with Lance on this one.  Sachsenberg's black/yellow checked D. 1 would look great!!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Thanks for this, Jamo!  Like Lance, I'm giving this beast another look.  Just maybe...
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
How about this for a diorama opportunity. You are in an Allied Intelligence unit at Evere, Belgium in January 1919 (that's winter time of course). Your unit finds a Junkers D.I aircraft out in the open (actually there were four), somewhat neglected but clearly having been flown. They are like nothing ever seen before. Germany's secret war winning weapons? Nissen Huts with wings? You get an aircraft recovery trailer to take one away for evaluation. Its like a precursor to Luft-1946
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Online bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Happy to compile this info into one PDF file. Is that OK, James?

Thanks for sharing.
vB   ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Yes good idea Bob. Thanks!
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Offline Black Max 72

I'm with Lance on this one.  Sachsenberg's black/yellow checked D. 1 would look great!!

Imagine masking all those black and yellow checks on those corrugations...yikes! :o

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD

Offline gbrivio

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Jeff K

suberb stufff.

check out that pre-production headrest... bulkier than that honker on the SE5a.

un-aerodynamic? check.

obstructs the pilot's view? check. this is important, because, like, no fighter pilot would ever be constantly looking all around the skies or anything.

superb! let's do this.