Author Topic: think i found my se 5 diorama subject  (Read 3800 times)

Offline kentyler

think i found my se 5 diorama subject
« on: February 16, 2018, 03:10:20 AM »
be a good challenge for my bakable clay modeling skills
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:21:09 PM by kentyler »

Offline Jeff K

Re: think i found my se 5 diorama subject
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 12:14:14 PM »
wow. i thought 'jump clear just before it crashed' only worked in Hollywood. go for it, it'll be a challenge, but worth it.

Offline kentyler

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 12:59:55 AM »
I would have thought so too, but thinking about the stunts the between the wars barnstormers used to perform, walking on wings, jumping from plane to plane, etc. It makes it seem a lot more possible.
The hard thing is going to be finding out what exactly the damage to his plane was....the book says he did this after a mid-air collision.
This would have been Keith Caldwell... New Zealand's leading WW I ace.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 01:14:44 AM »
Has something been removed from this topic?
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline kentyler

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 01:21:11 AM »
Yes,
there was a picture of a diorama of him standing on the wing of his damaged plane and flying it until he got over his own lines...which i posted from a book, but then took down when my attention was drawn to it being copyrighted material.
I will post some drawings and plans as I start work on the model.

Offline kentyler

the corrected version
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 02:48:55 AM »
"In September 1918 Caldwell’s quick thinking and resourcefulness saved him after he was involved in a mid-air collision during air combat. Struck by another S.E.5a from his squadron at 16,000 feet, the impact seriously damaged his wing struts and sent his aircraft into a semi-flat spin. In an oft-repeated story, it is said that after falling several thousand feet, Caldwell stepped out onto the lower wing in an attempt to control the stricken aircraft’s descent. Holding a wing strut with his left hand, and controlling the joystick with his right, he managed to crash land behind British lines, leaping to safety seconds before the plane hit the ground. In fact Caldwell himself chose to correct the story, though even by his account it is an exciting story of disaster averted by quick thinking:

You refer to the account of my standing on the wing of a SE5 aircraft which had been damaged in a collision. Afraid this is not correct. I think either 'Taffy' Jones, who wrote some war books after WWI, or perhaps Springs may have given this wrong story, as writers sometimes did to embellish situations. What did happen was that I found that I could get the machine under some control by putting my left foot on the right rudder and leaning out to the right as far as I could. All this performance took about 8,000 feet and then I had to lose further height to keep some control and crashed a short distance behind our lines. Aeroplane no good, but pilot cut lip and plenty bruises … Anyone conversant with the controls of a sensitive aeroplane would know that to leave the rudder alone would be disastrous. So much for that episode."
quoted from https://nzhistory.govt.nz/media/video/keith-caldwell-great-war-story

so that establishes the damage "seriously damaged wing struts" and the tactic he used...leaning out of the cockpit as far as he could... a little more realistic

so that opens the question what would "serious damage to the wing struts" look like on an se 5a

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: the corrected version
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 04:33:42 AM »
so that opens the question what would "serious damage to the wing struts" look like on an se 5a

Missing

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!