Author Topic: Big Camel Speculation  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Softscience

Big Camel Speculation
« on: February 15, 2018, 01:13:37 AM »
I wonder.

Every two or three years or so, lately, Airfix has been releasing a new 1/24 scale super-kit.

Their 2018 Catalog has a Camel on the cover, but no new camel moulds have been announced.

With this year being the centenary of the founding of the RAF, and the end of the Great War, I wonder if they'll surprise us all and release a 1/24 scale camel?

A new 1/48 camel would be most welcome too.

Or if wishes were fishes, then Airfix would realize that 1/32 scale is really nice for WWI kits, and would start providing some market competition to WnW.

Offline markleecarter

Re: Big Camel Speculation
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 05:56:38 AM »
I thought something similar when I saw the catalogue but I'm pretty sure its just this raf centenery set which seems to be exisiting moulds for 1/72 camel, spitfire and typhoon.
https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/raf-centenary-gift-set.html

Offline Softscience

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 07:23:17 AM »
I thought something similar when I saw the catalogue but I'm pretty sure its just this raf centenery set which seems to be exisiting moulds for 1/72 camel, spitfire and typhoon.

Too bad. I guess they figure the little Johnnies out there aren't going to want to build a biplane, and investing in a new mould isn't worth their while.

A Pox on little Johnnie. Never liked the bastard anyhow!

Offline Europapete

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 03:38:40 AM »
lolololol....got glue everywhere too!

Offline tomcervo

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 12:42:08 AM »
Pathetic--their sclerotic 2F.1 from the 60's? And is this even a real marking?
https://www.airfix.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/A/5/A50181.5.jpg

Offline Softscience

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 01:02:23 AM »
Airfix is so all.over the place now. Some of their recent releases are excellent (e.g., Walrus, Wildcat, He-111), but interspersed are the curates' eggs - nice kits ruined by horrible components (e.g., landing gear on the 72nd mustang, clear parts on most kits).

The lack of a new camel during this auspicious year (especially given how the Eduard kit is OOP), is another example of poor planning g and execution that mars what could be a stellar firm

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 08:36:52 AM »
Throughout the entirety of the Great War Centennial they've released two new-tool WW1 kits. That still staggers me. Every year I've been excited to see what they'll announce to commemorate the anniversary but apart from a rebox of the BE2, and the slight retool to create the E.III, there's been nothing.
Zac in NZ

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 10:45:39 AM »
You're right, it does seem strange. It's probably the usual explanation, 'commercial reasons'.
I mean, Airfix has a strong British identity, and has offered a lot of great British subjects in various scales since they 'came back'. And a huge amount of aviation came from this country during WWI. Like you, I expected a few more subjects to be kitted after the E.II and the BE.2. More than that, they've now made a strong entry into 1/48, a scale still favoured by many Great War modellers. But no hint of a show there - I agree, a Camel could have been a clever pick.
And if we consider what Airfix might think of as their showpiece scale, 1/24, well, the field is wide open there. Not perhaps for a big range of kits, but certainly for two or three iconic types. It's not as if the UK is short of excellent examples of WWI planes, for Airfix to go and aim their LIDAR at!
So, those commercial reasons presumably amount to, 'there's no point in getting into Great War kits, because people only want WNW'. I think that's wrong, but I accept that other views can be held.  ...Now, I'm fantasising about a glorious little grouping of 1/24 scale kits - a Camel, an Albatros D.III, a SPAD XIII, and a D.VII. Oh alright, and a Dr.I. I'm not in that particular fan club myself, but I know it'd sell :)

Mark