Author Topic: Novascale Decals....  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Daryl_Huhtala

Novascale Decals....
« on: February 15, 2018, 12:57:53 AM »
I just found this brand on a web search and am impressed with their subjects selection. Has anyone experience with them? Any issues? Being Aus based maybe our Aussie builders can give me a recommendation.

I was impressed enough to put in an order so I may end up giving myself a review.  :)
SUMUS QUOD SUMUS

Offline Black Max 72

Re: Novascale Decals....
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 07:42:24 AM »
Seen them as well, haven't used them. Looking forward to see what they're like as they seem to have some quite interesting Aussie subjects. I think they are printed on an ALPS printer, which probably means you will have to be careful on dark colours like PC10 as the whites might be a little less opaque than we would expect

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 08:49:35 AM »
They're not exactly Pheon but are generally OK,I'm going to do Cobby's Camel using them.

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 09:21:40 AM »
They're not exactly Pheon but are generally OK,I'm going to do Cobby's Camel using them.

Great minds think alike! ;D I had the same idea. Have you seen the new CSM 1/32 figure of Cobby? It looks absolutely spot on. On that note do you or anyone else happen to know what 'engine'(Le Rhone, Clerget etc) boxing of the WNW Camels would be appropriate for Cobby's 4 squadron AFC Camel?
I might just have to order a set of these decals as well!

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 03:41:59 PM »
Clerget is the one you want.That CSM figure is on my list of a few things I want from them,I'll probably wait for the Nieuport 17,although I haven't heard anything about it for a while.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 09:32:57 PM »
I'd suggested to Edgar he do a Cobby figure and posted the exact photo. I suspect though that it was already in the works because that got released fast. Good to know it's a Clerget. That means I'll have a spare set of decals if I screw up Barker's. I haven't seen one up close but those Copper State figures look awesome.

I desperately hope the Copper State Nieuport doesn't depend on the sales of the armored car, I don't do armor but I'd buy 10 Noops.

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 12:05:14 PM »
Thanks Dave for the info, though digging through my reference material I found that I had the information all along  ::). I'm looking forward to the Nieuport as well, I think it'll be a winner since WNW seem to be somewhat reluctant to do anything french! It'll be even better if CSM are prepared to do the 'bis' variants as well, so many options!. Now if I can only convince Edgar to do a figures of Dallas and Little... ;D

Offline Daryl_Huhtala

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 12:57:03 PM »
I have the Cobby figure and it's very good. So now I know to pair him up with a Clerget. Thanks everyone.
SUMUS QUOD SUMUS

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 09:29:22 PM »
Just a warning about Aussie/Novascale decals-I've used them in the past without issues but I happened to be using a set on a DAP Beaufighter today and the first roundel disintegrated as I was testing if it was ready,tried another letting it soak until it started floating in places yet the same thing happened again.It was seized on the backing sheet well and truly in some spots,and was very fragile.I sprayed a few coats of Microscale decal film,it is meant to be brushed but sprays nicely thinned with Tamiya X20a;trimmed around a spare decal closely with a scalpel and tried again.Still needed a long soak and didn't want to move but the Microscale film strengthened it up enough to persuade it loose this time.Possibly this sheet was old stock,but in future I'll be testing an unwanted decal first.Once I had some down,using Microsol and Microset,I was very pleased,they are nice and thin,with good colour,and snug down beautifully.