Author Topic: Des Delatorre - a tribute  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
Des Delatorre - a tribute
« on: February 02, 2018, 02:42:49 PM »
I have just watched the sunrise here in Dubai this morning and heard the terribly sad news that Des Delatorre has passed away.

Des created a global phenomena through his website which has unquestionably inspired many with his own magnificent models, as well as his praise and encouragement of others work, to advance our hobby.

He brought many together from all over the world, to share a common interest, and create new aquaintances and friendships.

I last corresponded with Des exactly a month ago today, in which he mentioned his hopes and plans for 2018, along with his future model projects.

To realise he has now gone, reiterates how precious and how short life is.

Rest in peace Des, you will not be forgotten.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: Des Delatorre - a tribute
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 12:57:46 AM »
I totally agree, Dave.

I'm at a loss for words. A truly sad day for this forum, but above all, for those who are close to Des.

R.I.P. Des

Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 10:59:30 AM »
I'm grateful that Des had the foresight and devotion to put this form together.  It's one of the most sensible and non threatening groups on the internet.  I hope we can keep it intact for years to come in his honor.  As an owner of another forum (railroad historical in nature) I know there's lot of back office maintenance that Des never complained about.  People hacking into code, posting messages that shouldn't be read, I know he had to keep up with this and posting updates to the forum.  His scratch building was beyond belief and his output was amazing.
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 11:08:43 AM »
Like all of us here I suppose, I was shocked and deeply saddened to hear that Des has passed.

I stumbled upon this site after a 40+ year hiatus from building plastic models. I was immediately struck by Des's impeccable craftsmanship and striking use of materials. His scratchbuilds always impressed me not so much for their faithfulness to outline (which they no doubt possessed) but in the way he truly strove to model the way the machines actually worked. I think this is why he loved rigging so much.

He didn't weather his models, and it is easy to understand why. His craftsmanship was simply extraordinary -- it would be a crime to bury it under a film of dirt.

I'm not ashamed to say I stole every idea I could from him, starting with his mods to the venerable WNW Albatros DV/a. Take a look at his build on the parent of this site and check out the exquisite miniature fuel valve that he scratched from brass tubing and copper wire, and then try to duplicate it yourself. I certainly did, and couldn't come anywhere close.

With sticky fingers,

--Bo
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 11:13:29 AM by Flugzeugwerke »

Offline aliluke

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 04:24:41 PM »
I was taken into WW1 planes after several years of wooden ships, inter-war racers and Schneider Trophy float planes, found Wingnut and then this forum. I guess I'm completely addicted to these early and often crazy creations. This is the best forum to land in and take off from.

Des with all his skill, his advice and this place, is our true hero and mentor.

I recently sold and sent him a Tamiya 1/32 DH Mossie and we had a conversation offline about him building it. I was so looking forward to what he would do with it in his incredibly skilled hands and he promised to keep me in touch with that. He also said it'd be a while off as he had so many other projects lined up...

I hope, as the best tribute to Des I can think of, this forum continues - I am not sure how that will work but if I can help I will. And that way all his advice and his models are preserved for many to share for a long time to come and his modelling legacy is held in trust by those that truly appreciate it.

Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 06:42:20 AM »
yes, a sad loss, let us all strive to accomplish all the sentiments above.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline xmald

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 07:15:42 AM »
I`ve already mentioned it somewhere else. I`m devastated with Des`s death. He was a great inspiration to me and one of the most influential modellers in my life. The time when I got into WWI modelling subjects coincided with Des`s starting this great community. I will miss him dearly, with all his kindness and good advice.
Still, there are many great models and memories and as long they are present in our minds, Des will be here with us.
Forgive me for being so sentimental...

I will never forget you mate,

Filip
Best regards
Filip